Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newb question

Astute Commentator

Newb question

Hi...

I'm interested in purchasing ACT Premium 2013, and will install it on a company network for between 5 or 10 users. We're interested in the Premium version because we would really like to implement the Premium Mobile feature. Many employees here have iphones. Having said that though, accessing ACT through a web server will mostly be a luxury for us. We're mainly planning to use this software in the office... over the network, and in conjunction with our sales software. My point is... we want to do both... We want our data to live locally so that we can access it in the office, and we want our people with iphones to be able to log in from out in the field.

Needless to say, I've been reading all of the documentation about how to install this system, but I just can't find something that clearly tells me what I need to know. I do understand that when I install ACT on my server, I need to install the IIS services as well. My question is, do I need a multiple server setup if I want to have access over the internet AND over the company LAN? I only own one server. I'm afraid that if I set it up as a web server, that it will somehow cause a problem with the other 3 network-based software packages that we're running... Quickbooks, Quotewerks, etc... How are you guys setting up your server for LAN and Mobile access?... Single servers, or a multiple server setup with a designated web server?

Lastly, if this can be done with a single server, how do the people in the office access the database when its technically in a webserver share and not a network share? Do they still log in using the .PAD file, or do they only access it using a browser?

Any help would be appreciated....

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Newb question

The full version is still available when using it on IIS - ie you can share on LAN and access via web from same server

Re iPhone access, you might have a look at this:
http://www.slideshare.net/GLComputing/handheld-contact-sage-act-mobile-solutions-comparison
Bronze Super Contributor

Hi,

yes you can do this on one server (as Mike has said).

photo.JPG

On the router, you'll need to have port 80 directed to port 80 on the server. This means that people outside the office can view the ACT! for Web website running on IIS.

If you're already running a number of Apps from that server, it may help to add some hard drive storage to it and host the ACT! database on the new drives, so that those drives are only spinning up for the SQL requests made of the database, rather than Active Directory, print and file, Quickbooks, Quotewerks etc. Hard drive I/O speed (specifically, the lack thereof) is the biggest killer of performance for SQL databases.

Ben.

Astute Commentator

Hi... and thank you for the replies. One thing I'm still not clear on... When the users in the office are accessing the ACT database, are they clicking on the .PAD file and opening up an ACT installation on their workstation, or are they now forced to open ACT through a browser like the mobile clients do?

If they have aq local copy of ACT!, they click on the Pad file and open it in that
Astute Commentator

Great!... It sounds like this will work like I need it to work. Thanks for your help.

Also remember to have a look at the link I posted in the first reply to ensure your iPhone users get the right functionality for their needs.