Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New user but advanced question?

New user but advanced question?

Hi everybody, this is my first post to the board and an answer to this question could save cement my new position within the company!!

I have started at a company that uses act (2007 Premium for workgroups + web) I have never used Act before but I'm slowly getting used to it. however, we are now in the process of setting up a new company, the new company will be ran from the current offices and will offer similar services to the current company (with me so far?)

The idea being that if we don't make a sale when the rep from one company visits a client we can send another rep from the other company armed with a better knowledge of what the customer requires and why we failed the first time.

My question is this, is it possible to run two separate companies from one copy of ACT, we need to be able to switch a dead contact from one company to a live contact in the other and be easily able to identify which company is which (does that make sense).

We will also need to be able to run reports for each company to show the usual sales, opportunities lost, schedules, tasks, etc.etc.

hope somebody can help or at least give me an idea of where to start.

Thankyou in advance

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: New user but advanced question?

Yes, you can create more than one database in ACT! (like you can have many documents in Word), however, you can only have one database open at a time. (unlike Word).

Yes, you can transfer contacts between databases, from File Export.

ACT! has a reports module, with built in reports and you can create your own.

Also check out the Dashboard for a summary.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

Hi, thanks for your reply Neil, I know that we are able to have two separate databases with the ability to transfer contacts between the two, however that would require the sales people to have to exit one database to view another, I was hoping that there was a way off doing it within one database (an extra drop down field with the company name in it?)which would enable the sales people to have all the information available to them without the need to switch. I realise I am probably asking the impossible but thought it would be worth a try.

Nickel Contributor

Have you looked at the company feature?  Or using groups?  Under the help menu in ACT click on help topics. Type in companies and youll see a listing on using companies and divisions.  This may be what your looking for.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.
Copper Elite Contributor

Should you wish to have all contacts in the one database, and avoid duplicate records, then add a field and/or Tab for each Business, so you can see which business last worked with that client. 

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au