Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New to this

New to this

Hello all,

I am writing because I have recently been given a project that means I have to learn Act fairly fast. My company uses Act premium 2006. I have been asked to clean up and pretty much re-do their contact database. At the moment they have 2 contact databases within Act and the only other contact list is within the CEO's contacts in Outlook.

I need to know if I can do the following :

1. Merge the 2 existing Act databases (eliminating duplicates without going through the few thousand names to check)

2. Export the contact list from Outlook to import into Act.

3. Once I have one merged database I guess I would need to make groups. Some people (clients that pay for our service) would need to be marked in such a way that would generate an email or letter to remind them of 3 months before expiration of service, then 1 month, etc. Are there ways to automate emails through Act based on a date set within their contact that reflects their expiration date?

There are other things that will pop up as I try to figure all of this out but those 3 are the most important right now. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: New to this

So, seeing as there were 10 views so far but no responses should I assume that it's not possible?
Platinum Elite Contributor

No, it's just that you aren't asking a simple question, you're talking at the level of a consulting job.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Fair enough. I understand. At least I know now. Silence just got me concerned. I will have to do some more research. Is there a semi-simple solution to any of the 3 questions?

Not really because your questions are interrelated, That is, the answer to one question depends on the answers to other questions starting with modifying the database to accommodate your needs. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

1. Merge the 2 existing Act databases (eliminating duplicates without going through the few thousand names to check)

The this ACT! Knowledge Base article - 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1391...

2. Export the contact list from Outlook to import into Act.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1390...

3. Once I have one merged database I guess I would need to make groups. Some people (clients that pay for our service) would need to be marked in such a way that would generate an email or letter to remind them of 3 months before expiration of service, then 1 month, etc. Are there ways to automate emails through Act based on a date set within their contact that reflects their expiration date?

This would need some setup of the groups and reminders.