Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New to Act! Question please help

New to Act! Question please help

Hi,

Using Act! Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367 single user (meanwhile)

I would like to categorize (groups?) companies by territories.  The only way I see to do this is by groups as the territory field in the company profile tab is not much of a help when I want to view each territory's companies.  However, there is no way that I can group companies, only contacts.  Is there a way to work around this?  What is the rationale behind this?

All help is appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New to Act! Question please help

Hello lipa,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Unfortunately, only contacts can be associated with groups and companies. The only way I know to do this is to use the Territory field. You can do a lookup in this field to see which company records are in which territory. If you want to visually see this on Company Tree view, then create the territories as Companies and make each company for that territory a Division under that.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

Thanks for the help. Why is ACT! set up this way? Wouldn't it make sense to associate companies with a group? I am sure that there are many industries where their main contacts are companies and not individuals as is my case. Therefore grouping individuals doesn't help me much.

Territories was only the beginning of what I wanted out of ACT. I want to group companies by all kinds of criteria. Your idea of creating a company for each territory will not help me if I want to associate the same company with other criteria.

I am just baffled that such a simple function is not part of ACT. Very disappointed.
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand what you are saying. Companies and Groups have a similar function, in that they both let you associate contacts under a common entity. Though I cannot recall any other requests to be able to categorize or group Company records other than through the use of fields, I believe this would be a good idea to submit to our product managers. Please submit this suggestion for review via the Share Your Ideas board in this forum.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.