Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New installation question

New installation question

I need to install ACT 2008 Premium for 5 users. All of them will use a shared database on a server. To my understanding, I'll have to install the software on 5 user PC as well on the server.

My questions:

0. I can't use any existing SQL Server installation unless the SQL Server has an instance called ACT7? and ACT has to be installed on the SQL Server. i.e. not be able to separate ACT and SQL server on two machines?

1. It seems that I don't have option to install software without installing sql server express, although we don't need it on each client PC (maybe only need sql native client piece)

2. I tried to disable sql server services on the client machine, the client still be able to open the database on the server, just much slower at startup!? Don't know why. I would believe if I uninstall the SQL express installation on client machines, Act will still work but just slower.

Act is new to me, I appreciate any suggestion.

Re: New installation question

0. I can't use any existing SQL Server installation unless the SQL Server has an instance called ACT7? and ACT has to be installed on the SQL Server. i.e. not be able to separate ACT and SQL server on two machines?

- Correct, ACT! requires a SQL installed called ACT7 and you'll also need to install ACT! on the server.

1. It seems that I don't have option to install software without installing sql server express, although we don't need it on each client PC (maybe only need sql native client piece)

- On the workstations, you can remove SQL after installing ACT!.  Please note that you'll be unable to open any local databases.

2. I tried to disable sql server services on the client machine, the client still be able to open the database on the server, just much slower at startup!? Don't know why. I would believe if I uninstall the SQL express installation on client machines, Act will still work but just slower.

- Correct, it may or may not increase performance.

Thanks, dlunceford!
Platinum Elite Contributor

0. If you have your own SQL, you can create the ACT7 instance manually (instructions in the Knowledge Base), but you still need ACT! installed on the server

1. Without SQL, you won't be able to use Intenet Mail either... but I assume that's not an issue? See below for some more info

2.  I have heard a few sites where disabling or removing SQL and using Outlook integration takes longer to startup. My guess is something in the Outlook addin is looking for SQL for some unknown reason.

A while ago, I tested with 10.0.2 EX, I copied the CD to a hard drive and removed SQLEXR.exe and SQLinstall.exe from the dependencies folder. The install completed fine, it just skipped over the SQL part. I did think it was odd that it didn't error and don't know if this would happen with any other build.

I didn't test it long enough to know if this would cause any issues, but it seemed ok. I also didn't connect it to Outlook, so can't comment on any effect this might have.

Thanks for the info! It's weird that shutdowning the local sql instance will slow down (30sec vs 5sec) act to startup. So far, I leave the Sql running idle on all act client pcs.