Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New install

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

New install

Good day (hope it will get better),

Have read a number of knowledge base threads as I attempt to the my Trial version of ACT! 2010 installed on my Windows 2003 server running SQL 2005, upgraded to SQL 2008.  After a number of attempts at installing and re-installing (reading advice to others who experience same problem), I wonder if I am close.  In my recent installation, I am logging into the server remotely via RDC and using mstsc /console ... logging in as administrator.  I installed instance of ACT7 manually, following instructions here ... http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2522...

I then renamed the Prereq folder so that I would not continue to experience the same problem experienced with this person ... http://community.act.com/t5/ACT-Premium/Premium-for-Web-2010-Installation-Fails-While-Installing-SQL....  I have finally gotten ACT! Installed.  AND I can log into my Instance of ACT7 which was manually installed on SQL2008.  Mind you, there is no demo database.  Even though this final attempt to install ACT! did get it installed, The install wizard did not finished.  It was about 1/4 way through the "ACT! is finalizing installation" ... but frozen.  So I aborted and logged into ACT.  I of course now want to create a new database, but was wondering if and how ACT! would find my instance of SQL ACT7.  Of course it does not ... given message "Unable to create the database.  There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server.  What would be the trick/secret?  Again, is a Trial version of ACT!  just downloaded from Sage website so is 2010.

Thanks, Tom

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author trow
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: New install

I have a resolution.  First, I commend Sage.  Their "attitude" toward relationship and support is fist class.  There is a story behind this, but I move right to the solution. 

I experienced a similar problem installing ACT as I see others have.  I had similarities and differences.  With respect to similarities, the install wizard would not install the demo database nor the ACT programs.  There are helpful knowledge base articles that helped me finally get to the point where I set up a manual instance of ACT7 in SQL 2008 and then renamed the Prereq folder in order to allow the ACT install programs to lay ACT down.  Where I differed is that I have a C and D drive.  I elected to install on the D drive.  So, when I finally laid ACT down, I then proceeded to set up a new database and ACT could not find the instance I had created in SQL2008.  The support person moved quickly, but what I believe he did was to find a file called FallbackSQLPwdReset.bat in the Dependencies directory of the installation files.  He copied and pasted this to where I had installed ACT ... D:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows ... then executed it.   Was then able to attach to my SQL instance and create new database.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author trow
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: New install

I have a resolution.  First, I commend Sage.  Their "attitude" toward relationship and support is fist class.  There is a story behind this, but I move right to the solution. 

I experienced a similar problem installing ACT as I see others have.  I had similarities and differences.  With respect to similarities, the install wizard would not install the demo database nor the ACT programs.  There are helpful knowledge base articles that helped me finally get to the point where I set up a manual instance of ACT7 in SQL 2008 and then renamed the Prereq folder in order to allow the ACT install programs to lay ACT down.  Where I differed is that I have a C and D drive.  I elected to install on the D drive.  So, when I finally laid ACT down, I then proceeded to set up a new database and ACT could not find the instance I had created in SQL2008.  The support person moved quickly, but what I believe he did was to find a file called FallbackSQLPwdReset.bat in the Dependencies directory of the installation files.  He copied and pasted this to where I had installed ACT ... D:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows ... then executed it.   Was then able to attach to my SQL instance and create new database.