Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New install web site issues

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

New install web site issues

Hi all. New to Act. I am reinstalling the software because the person who initially set this up over a year ago never got it up and running. I went through the process of installing, I am using a domain admin at present, I created the database on the root of the C drive instead of in the user folder (what's up with that anyway??) and I have not set up impersonation because I have absolutely no freaking idea what the heck that is!

Now in IIS Manager, there was never a web site created for the install. If you are not using IIS, then I need to know how to access the web portal on the server. There does not seem to be anything in the help file on the subject.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author slylabs13
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: New install web site issues

NVM. I figured this out. Apparently, you go to the IP or name of the Act server and add /AFPW to the end of the URL. Not obvious at first.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author slylabs13
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

NVM. I figured this out. Apparently, you go to the IP or name of the Act server and add /AFPW to the end of the URL. Not obvious at first.

Silver Contributor

http://localhost/APFW from the server

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks it was the APFW part of the URL that was not immediately obvious. Also, I renamed the host after sharing the database and had to work through all of that. At least I have a much better understanding of how all this works.

Still not sure what all the hoopla about using an impersonation account though. Is that so databases shared from a users profile can be accessed by impersonating an administrator? I have to say, the articles out there on how to do this are quite cryptic. I avoided all that by creating the database in a folder at the root of the C drive, then giving all domain users read/write access. Not sure if that is advisable, but frankly going about this the prescribed way seems onerous.