Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New install fails to launch Word

New install fails to launch Word

I just recently installed ACT 2010 on a Windows 2003 standard server and having a bit of an issue.  None of my users, not matter the operating system or version of IE will launch Word after selecting a template to edit.  They have the merge software installed and it goes through the motions but fails to ever succeed in launching Word.   I have updated ACT and the dbase to the latest version and not even the host will launch Word.  It does launch if using the actual ACT client but never over the net. 

Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New install fails to launch Word

Hello glock9mmowner,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. There was an issue in the initial release of ACT! for Web 2010, where the Word integration would not work if the APFW files on the web server were in a custom virtual directory (other than the default APFW directory). This issue has been addressed in the latest update (SP1 Hotfix 1). If this is the case with your situation, please visit our downloads site at http://act.com/support/downloads to acquire this update. All machines that have ACT! 2010 installed will need to uniformly install the update, starting with the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

As I stated, I have already applied the updates.  Also, the installation is the default.  
Silver Contributor

Don't see in your post, but could you confirm that you are deploying ACT Premium for WEB accessable via web browser? or ACT for Workgroups?
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

ACT Premium for Web 2010.  It worked fine on a 2003 SBS but will not work on my 2003 Standard server.  Kinda at a lose as to why this will not work correctly, everything else functions just fine which makes it more strange.  Thanks.

I assume no one has any suggestions on how to remedy this issue? 
Platinum Elite Contributor

When you had APFW on your SBS server, was it also updated to SP1 Hotfix1, or was that done after you moved it to the Standard server? Also, there is a newly reported issued is APFW 2010 SP1, where you cannot create a new Word (.adt) template within the Web client. This issue is currently under investigation.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

My SBS ACT is :ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3

ACT on my Standard server is:  ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

Mind you I have installed Hot Fix 4 which does not appear to have any affect on the Standard server.  We did not move the installs, I merely installed a fresh copy, then restored as on the Dbase.  I have many templates none of which I can edit as Word never launches.  Now, Outlook will launch as it should.  Its a very odd situation.  

Why are the versions of ACT two different numbers but have followed the same upgrade path?

I uninstalled ACT and this time did not update, problem solved.  Something in the SP and Hotfix breaks the integration.   Thanks for the assistance.