Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New contacts in ACT! 2011 do not sync with Outlook

New contacts in ACT! 2011 do not sync with Outlook

Hi,

We're having a problem with the Outlook Contact sync on one computer (running ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hotfix 1, Windows 7 64-bit, Outlook 2007 SP3). They have a remote database that syncs up with ACT! on the server. We have it set up to do a one-way sync from ACT to Outlook, and the sync seems to be fine except that it does not bring in any new contacts unless we do a database sync first. Is this by design? I've tried the troubleshooting steps in KB 27105 to clear the metadata and also re-created the sync sets. The user swears that he was able to sync new contacts without having to sync his database first, and I can't find any documentation on how that is supposed to work.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New contacts in ACT! 2011 do not sync with Outlook

You might try this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29293

It says for UK version ... but sounds about right

BTW: I don't think synncing one way to Outlook is an option... 

Be very careful if Outlook syncs to anything else (Exchange or mobile device)

BTW: Good idea to sync to Publisher first ... that way, if Outlook sync has an issue, easy to create new RDB

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the fast response. I probably was not clear about the one-way sync in my first post. In ACT on his workstation, the Outlook sync setup has an option where you can tell it not to sync Outlook contacts back into ACT, so we only have it so that his ACT contacts import into his Outlook, and not syncing back the other way. So when he goes to sync ACT with his Outlook, it does not bring the newly added contacts into his Outlook, I have to sync his database with the server first. I will try the steps in the article you posted.

That preference is actually only for the first sync - to bring the Outlook contacts into Act! ... after that, always two-way.

It took a while to find a reference to it in help or KB:
See: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28673

That image in the second article you posted, next to the box that says "Add Outlook Contacts to Sage ACT! and synchronize changes", we have that unchecked. If that does need to be checked for the sync to work, I can let the user know.

"Add Outlook contacts to ..." is to sync new contacts added to Outlook back to Act! ... not ticked will only sync the Act! contacts and ignore new ones in Outlook.

But any you sync will be two-way.