Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New contacts get deleted when screen changes

New contacts get deleted when screen changes

Off and on I have had issues duplicating contacts.  I would be able to duplicate the contact, add the new info but then when I tried to save the contact or move out of that contact (by going to a new look up) an error message would come up saying that the data was not saved.  It would then go to the very first contact of our database and there would be a new blank record.

I am now getting the new blank record not only when I try to duplicate a record but also if I am entering a new contact.  The error message now does not display.  It just goes stright to the new blank record, 1of 10,295.  It is not always, seemingly randomly.  But as I manage the data base I always find new blank records in the beginning of our database so I can tell that somebody else tried to enter or duplicate a contact and it did not save for them.

Any suggestions?

I am using ACT Premium 2008.

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New contacts get deleted when screen changes

Are you able to duplicate this issue in the Demo database (ACT10Demo)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I can see where I can open ACT10, but am unsure about proceeding with that.  It requires that I download the new version of ACT were we have no intention to do that company wide in the near future.  If I download the new version of ACT, will I then be able to revert back to ACT 8 to access our database?  We have had issues in the past with upgrading to the newer version of ACT on a local computer and running it with our current database.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "It requires that I download the new version of ACT" when you try to open the ACT10Demo database. This demo is for ACT! 2008 (10.x). What message are you getting when you open the ACT10Demo database?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

"The database you are opening must be updated to a newer version of ACT!, (this may take several minutes.)  Before updating the database, ensure a recent back up is available.  Would you like to back up the database now?

Warning:  Backups with this version of ACT! cannot be restored to a previous version.  To restore this backup to a previous version, contact Technical Support (www.act.com/support)."

We have done similar updates my accident before and had severe problems to get back to where we were.

If you are getting this message when opening the Demo database, that is fine. It just means the demo has not been opened and updated since your last update of ACT!. So it just means it needs to be updated to the build of ACT! you currently have installed. Let the update happen...remember this is the Demo database, not your database, so your data will not be affected.

Greig Hollister