Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New User-- Some Questions Re: Importing New Data

New User-- Some Questions Re: Importing New Data

Hi.  I have no prior experience with ACT, but I have used Goldmine (allbeit 8-10 years ago).  I have a new job in a small office and am taking over the daily ACT (Premium 10.0) operations.  We have outside IT support when needed, but for the most part I will be responsible for trouble shooting any problems and figuring out how to do everything we need.  If given baby steps, I'm a pretty quick study.

My first order of business is to start adding a ton of new prospects into the database.  I have about 1000 contacts in an excel spreadsheet that I would like to add.  I will probably be ready to add about 1000/week or so, at least that is my goal.  Is there a way for me to create a blank copy of the existing database, import my info into there, make sure everything is good to go, then eventually import that into the real database?  I thought I had found directions for this online, but maybe it is an older version... when I try to do it (File|Save As|Create Empty Copy| I get a message about the current database is a non-local database.  Only local databases can be copied.

If I discover there are fields missing that I would like such as the source where the contact came from (i.e. D&B) is there a way to add it to both databases?

Thanks for the help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New User-- Some Questions Re: Importing New Data

You can only create a new database on your local machine and only copy from one that it local... so you'd need to do this on the server.

If you are going to do a lot of imports, especially where some of the contacts might already be there and you want to update specific fields, the best way is to use itImport

Thank you for your quick reply.

Do you reccomend doing the blank database method?  Is that a needed/necesarry step? 

I like the sounds of the itImport.Net.  I took a heck of a lot of time making sure my entries were in individual cells and whatnot... if it can

Import data from a single field into several ACT! fields along with everything else it sounds like a huge time saver for me.

Is that something I can use and do from my computer or do I also have to do it through the server?

No, it doesn't sound like a blank database is needed, but always make sure you have a backup before doing a big import in case something goes wrong.

itImport can be run from your workstation. You can download a trial from that link which will do 10 records at a time as a test

Regarding itImport... is this really necesary vs. the import function that ACT has built into it?  It sounds great to me (from reading the small blurb) but since I'm not real familiar with ACT and don't know what it is capable of without it or what the person before me did... how do I convince the owner we need this?  Also, I don't see anything on the link or when I read the documentation with regard to cost. 

Before I start do I just go to File|Backup|Database  and follow it through?  Is it pretty self explanatory or is there anything I need to do special?

Our tech support has not been able to get into the office and add me to the network or onto Act, so I've been logging in as the previous employee.  Is it a big deal that all my new stuff will be associated with her... or should I wait to start my importing/cleaning up until I can get in as me.

Thanks.

imnosupermom wrote:
Regarding itImport... is this really necesary vs. the import function that ACT has built into it?  It sounds great to me (from reading the small blurb) but since I'm not real familiar with ACT and don't know what it is capable of without it or what the person before me did... how do I convince the owner we need this?  Also, I don't see anything on the link or when I read the documentation with regard to cost. 

ACT!'s import doesn't do field level merges or imports into subtables. Also, itImport adds functions like assigning the contacts to groups, scheduling activities for users and many powerful functions. It also has an optional service to run on a schedule and bring data in with predefined maps. Pricing is on the Pricing page

Before I start do I just go to File|Backup|Database  and follow it through?  Is it pretty self explanatory or is there anything I need to do special?

That shuold be fine... it will create a ZIP file with the database and it's supplemental files
Our tech support has not been able to get into the office and add me to the network or onto Act, so I've been logging in as the previous employee.  Is it a big deal that all my new stuff will be associated with her... or should I wait to start my importing/cleaning up until I can get in as me.
itImport allows you to select the Record Manager you want the import to show as. ACT! will make all the new records show the Record Manager of the user you are logged in at the time

I'm not sure how I missed the pricing tab.  Which version is it that I need as there is quite a price difference and how close are those price to US$ just for price reference?  I'm guessing he won't go for it, but it would be good to know as it sounds like a valuable tool.

There only one version of itImport ... it sets itself up for any version of ACT! 7.0 or later

The price is probably 15-20% cheaper in US$.... both the exchange rate and you don't pay our GST

Okay, I saw this...

CRMAEXIM01 itImport.Net - Import Excel and ASCII data into ACT!
CRMAEXIM05 itImport.Net - Upgrade from previous version of ACT!
CRMAEXIM50 itImport.Net - Service for automatically importng/merging data

and wasn't sure if I needed the Excel/ASCII or the importing/merging version.  There is quite the price difference between the two.

You'd need the top one (01)

The bottom one (50) is an additional module that allows it to run as an automated background service