Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New To ACT - some questions

Copper Contributor

New To ACT - some questions

Hi All,

I have been researching ACT for a couple months now and am in preparing for the deployment of ACT 2010 Premium but have some questions.

First, I have over 15,000 records I will be importing from another contact management program. These contacts all have histories including follow up dates. The program being used now allows each salesperson, when logging in, to get a list of thier callbacks. How do I make sure when I import that each salesperson is still able to see thier callbacks? Is the Record Manager in essence the Salesperson? The reason I ask is because normally the Salespeople do not enter thier contacts, someone else does. And it looks like whoever creates the contact is the Record Manager. I can easily change the Record Manager at that time if I am the one entering the data, however, changing 15,000 one at a time would be a little cumbersome.

Second, if I map the Salesperson to the Record Manager can I also have the imported contacts set with a limited access for that particular salesperson and the Managers group?

Also, since all of our contacts are with "companies" do I have to create a Company first then add the contacts? If so, how is this handled when importing?

Unfortunately the help guides aren't really helpful so I apologize in advance for all the questions. I want to try and make this import process as seamless as possible.

Thank You

Linda

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New To ACT - some questions

Unfortunately, ACT! can't import the callbacks (history). For that, you need an add-on such as itImport

itImport can also automatically create the companies for you during the import and link the contacts

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply Mike. It still seems like a cumbersome task as each salesperson can have a few thousand contacts. And, from what I read, the import program you suggested is pretty costly. I guess this isn't going to be easy.

Since the program I am using currently is set up by Salesperson, when I do the import, am I using the Record Manager as the map field? Or can I set up another field called Salesperson and then map that field?

Also, when a Salesperson logs in, is there any way to have the default open to the activities or follow ups they need to make instead of all of thier contacts?

Thank You.

You would need only the Standard Edition for the History if that's any help?

Not sure what you mean by "map field". The Record Manager is the ACT! user who owns the record - by default it's the user who creates it.

Unfortunately, the Task List is not an option fo the Startup... but you can use an Activities Dashboard and make that the Startup screen (Tools | Preferences | startup)

Copper Contributor

If I only needed the Standard edition that might be better yes.

And I asked about the mapping because our salespeople do not enter thier contacts. This is done by another operator who makes sure there is no duplicate and someone else isn't already working it. So the Record Manager would always be that operator who is NOT a salesperson. So if I want each salesperson to be able to edit just thier contacts I have to limit access to them and the Managers.

When I do the import who will be set as the Record Manager? The person importing?

The operator could set the Limited Access to a team of Managers (this can be set as a default in Preferences) and change the Record manager to the sales person. The Record Manager always has access.

Yes, the RM when importing is the person doing the import. You can then Lookup records based on other fields and assign the RM using Edit | Replace (providing you have ACT! 12.1)

Silver Contributor

You can set the limited Access en mass after doing the import as well.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Ok. Thanks for all your help.