Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Publisher computer, one remote database has Manage Main Database greyed out

Copper Contributor

New Publisher computer, one remote database has Manage Main Database greyed out

We have changed the computer the main database is on (The Publisher) and I have been able to change the location on 2 lap tops which have remote databases, but a third one has the 'Manage Main Database' greyed out in the Synchronisation Panel.  Is anyone able to help with any ideas on what could be causing this and how to get it to connect to the new computer?  Thank you.

Bronze Contributor

Re: New Publisher computer, one remote database has Manage Main Database greyed out

It would tell me that the user you are logged into the remote does not have permission to do remote administration. You could try logging in as the database administrator and then either modify the users permissions or do the synch setup changes and then it should all work correctly

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Re: New Publisher computer, one remote database has Manage Main Database greyed out

I am not very experienced with ACT.  Am I able to log in as the Administrator (the user name & log in that is used on the Publisher computer) on the remote database's laptop?  I am not able to check at the moment as the person who owns the laptop has taken it out of the office.  I shall check first thing in the morning!  Thank you!

Nickel Super Contributor

You should be able to log into the remote as an adminsitrator, although you will get a warning message.

This is how I was able to resolve same problem.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your help so far.  I have logged into the laptop as the Administrator and changed the preferences for the remote database so now they have permission for remote administration.  I changed the name of the Publisher computer and went to synchronise while I was still the Administrator.  The synchronisation started, then an error message came up sayiing the remote database has already been re-created.  Now the 'Synchronise' under tools is greyed out, both as I log in as Administrator and as the remote database user!  Any suggestions please!