Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Install of Act Premium for Web - Contacts Issue

New Install of Act Premium for Web - Contacts Issue

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm not overly familiar with Act so bear with me. I've just installed Act Premium for Web 2011 on Windows Server 2008 running IIS 7.0, and imported a users database from Sage Act 2011 Standard. So far so good.

I can log into the ACT database on the server via the web using IE8, I can also log in ok from my desktop pc using Firefox 4. In both cases, when i click on Contacts it displays what i assume is the first contact in the database. However, when i click on View All Contacts, it returns the message "Waiting For Data", and gets stuck.

The local impersonation account is a member of the local Administrators group, so it has modify access to any files on the server. Additionally the tests within the Web Administration utility for the impersonation account all pass ok.

The only KB article i can find, that mentions this issue, is the one describing an underscore in the virtual directory name. However i have used the default APFW virtual directory as a name, so this isn't the issue in my case.

If i run the Act on the server (ie via the application not via the browser), and open the database, it all works fine.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how i might fix this please?

TIA

Mark

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New Install of Act Premium for Web - Contacts Issue

Just a quick point first ... the contact that shows when you log in should be YOUR record.

I assume you have IIS7 in x32 mode as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22988

I'd also make sure you have ACT! 2011 13.1.111 + Hotfix4

Check Help | About in the full app on the server:

If 13.0 - then apply Service Pack 1 and then HF4

If 13.1 and an earlier HF - apply HF4

Thanks Mike,

Yes, I can confirm the record that appears is the adminstrators record (someone who has left hence why i didn't recognise the name).

The Server 2008 OS is 32bit, so IIS is running in 32bit mode, no probs there.

Thanks for the tip on SP1 and HF4. Hoewver, Sage's ACT 2011 SP1 instructions say:

"Make the appropriate selections for your product, version and locale"

...so i go to the download page, and it only offers downloads for CA and US. The locale of my install is "English (United Kingdom)". There is absolutely nothing indicating what non CA/US users are supposed to choose?

Any idea? TIA

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27440

Remember any systen sharing the same database needs to be on the same version.

If that doesn't help, can you try the demo database and see if that works

Or try a browser on the server itself (not IE9 and that's not supported)

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

That KB link you've posted is for the HF4 download. The SP1 KB is here:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27290/kw/service%20pack%201

The SP1 KB links you to the download centre, I select Act Premium 2011 and it takes me here:

http://download.act.com/support/downloads/Sage-ACT-Premium-2011-Product-Downloads.html

From where it only offers CA and US downloads. Unless i'm missing something, i can't see which one to choose. I could just randomly pick one and try it, but surely i shouldn't have to be playing guessing games here.

Oh and yes, i came up against the IE9 issue as well. That really confused things lol. Luckily thats one issue i DID find a KB answer to Smiley Happy

Sorry ... from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm
At the bottom, select EMEA instead of one of the products
The top one after that looks right

[ Edited ]

Brilliant got it! Thanks for your help Mike.

I have to say that the layout of the downloads section is poor. I've wasted 2-3 hours on this.

Of course i should have known i was supposed to select EMEA (who on earth wrote this!) over "Product Downloads" (rolls eyes)

rant over!

I've been saying that since they changed it a few months back... I know the product and sometimes I get confused. So I'm sure it's a real issue for users.

One would think a software company would have a better UI - if for no better reason than to reduce their own support costs.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, try the two tests I suggested a couple of posts back

[ Edited ]

Just to report back on this, I installed SP1, confirmed it had updated (via help->about), but it made no change to the problem.

However after I installed Hotfix 4 AND rebooted, the problem was fixed. Not sure if i was hitting a bug of some sort but its working now. Many Thanks for your help Mike Smiley Happy