Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

New Google Contact Sync issue since Premium 17.1 upgrade

Copper Contributor
Posts: 116
Country: Canada

New Google Contact Sync issue since Premium 17.1 upgrade

My automatic scheduling of Google Sync with ACT is now producing a new error in the Sync History list.  If I run the contact sync manually from the System Tray icon, it will sometimes complete with "0 Errors" in the errors column, but all the hourly runs are coming up with 1 error as shown.  Is any work being done on Google Sync?  Is there a fix to this?

 

Google Sync Issue.jpg

Copper Contributor
Posts: 116
Country: Canada

Re: New Google Contact Sync issue since Premium 17.1 upgrade

Just to add to this, it is indeed my automatically scheduled syncs that are creating the error. I can manually run Contact Sync, then manually run Record History, and those two processes run without the error. (I do not use Calendar Sync). When the hourly syncs I have setup run, they leave this error in the History log each time.
Silver Super Contributor
Posts: 2,328
Country: USA

Re: New Google Contact Sync issue since Premium 17.1 upgrade

I believe I can fix it for you.  Contact me offline and I'll remote in and fix it.  I won't charge you to fix it.  The fix should take about a minute once I am able to remote in.

 

Stan


If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor
Posts: 116
Country: Canada

Re: New Google Contact Sync issue since Premium 17.1 upgrade

Thank you Stan.  I've emailed you at the email I found off your website in your Signature.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 116
Country: Canada

Re: New Google Contact Sync issue since Premium 17.1 upgrade

Stan Smith appears to be my Google Sync Hero.  He made a change to one of my config files earlier this morning, and since then there hasn't been any errors in my Google Sync History list for all my on-the-hour automatic syncs!  Swiftpage should be paying this guy!  Thank you very much Stan.  I hope this proves to be the end to this problem.

 

GoogleSyncFixed.jpg