Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Employee to use ACT

New Employee to use ACT

I am a newbie when it comes to ACT and could use some help, please.  We have a handful of licenses. 

We have 5 salesmen that use ACT on their laptops, I believe these were set up as Remote Databases.

There is also web access, because that's how the boss accesses ACT.
One of the salesmen has left our company and we hired a new person to take his place.

Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to link or change the license from the old employee to the new employee, if I need to do that

Also, would I set up a new user and deactivate the person who left?

What about the customers and contacts - how do I change the record manager to the new guy. Step by Step instructions would be very helpful

Thanks so much, in advance!!   Jan

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: New Employee to use ACT

Hello Jan,  I suggest you contact a certified Act! consultant.

1. Before making any changes, make a backup of your database  (On the Act! Server - File menu - Backup - Database)

2. Do not delete a user, it is better if you just disable it so that this releases the license with which you can create a new user

( It would be a good idea to insert the Record Manager field into the Contact List View )

( Lookup for contacts that are Record Manager by the previous user )

3. After creating the new user, you can assign the contacts of the previous user,   this is done with the option...  Edit Menu...  Replace field...  (Record Manager)  

4. If you want to pass the scheduled activities of the previous user, you can initially create the new user as an administrator, enter with the new user, search for the previous user's scheduled activities, Copy ... Paste ... then those pasted activities are now named to the new user, then you can delete the previous activities you copied ... and then you can again configure the new user as Manager or Standard

If you need more help, I suggest you contact a certified Act! consultant.

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

Thanks Juan Carlos,

I really appreciate your help. One more question, what about the remote database - what do I need to do, so the new employee can use the old laptop and log into the remote database?  They tell me he can't log into the ACT remote database now, since we created a new user and login to the laptop (they were trying to use the old user's credentials to log into the remote db - I haven't changed/updated anything in ACT at this point)

Nickel Super Contributor

Suggestion, After creating the new user, and the user is the Record Manager of their contacts...  I suggest creating a new Sync Set and a New Remote database for that User.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14072

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14116

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

Once you have made the old ACT user inactive and created a new user you need to think about how your team work.

Do all sales people see all records?

Is syncing for the other sales people working well?

Would access to the database via IE be good enough or does the new user need access at all times when not connected to the internet?

It is relatively simple to cut a new remote database and restore onto the laptop using the guides that Juan gave links for but as suggested maybe you could do with some hand holding by an ACC while getting used to ACT.