Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New DB based on an existing DB

Tuned Listener

New DB based on an existing DB

Can I create a new empty DB based on the layouts I have in an existing DB?

I dont want to backup the existing one and save it as a different DB since I have too many contacts/companies in - and I will have to delete all of them before starting.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New DB based on an existing DB

Bronze Contributor

Remember that if you customized one or more layouts to go along with the database, your layouts won't copy over to the new database - you'll have to manually copy them from the layouts folder of the existing database to the layouts folder of the newly created copy.  Would it be reasonable to expect that if you're creating an empty copy of an existing database, then it must have some customizations, and quite likely, a custom layout?  Yes.  Would it be reasonable to expect that saving an empty copy would also copy over custom layouts?  Yes.  Does it?  No.  Has it been submitted as a defect or feature request?  Yes, many, many times.

Same goes for any custom reports, templates, etc.

Signature
Tuned Listener

Wow!!!

Mike -- the last comment suggests that it is NOT as easy as you suggest!!!!

Is it true that this is buggy?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, it's easy... you just need to copy the layouts to the new databaase after creating the copy
Tuned Listener

Mike -- then my intepretation is that once the copy DB is made -- I have to physically copy over the layout file to the location of the new new DB - is that right?