Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Contacts Going Public!

New Contacts Going Public!

Version:    ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1,
English (United States) 

My Preferences are set so that all new contacts are created Private.  I first noticed when I was importing some leads into the database that they went public.  I thought it may have been associated with that process, but after I clicked "New Contact" it ALSO went public.

Any idea as to why this may be happening???

Thanks,

Keith

Copper Contributor

Re: New Contacts Going Public!

Did this start happening right after the hotfix ?

I don't know about RIGHT after. 

Let me set the scene.  We have a company with about 13-15 ACT! Users.  My boss is the administrator.  We have done the Hotfix (which i assume is the update) on random computers and at random times, but not all.  I'm not even sure if it's been done on the server yet.

Company has been here a little over a year, with ACT! the whole time.  We have imported our leads the same way the whole time.  We have just noticed this problem on her (the administrator) pc last week.

Copper Super Contributor

keithroberts wrote:

My Preferences are set so that all new contacts are created Private.

Thanks,

Keith

I can't imagine why you'd want to do this, but it just goes to show that everyone will use the database differently.  The one thing that I did want to ask is this - how do you prevent duplicate contacts?

Assuming that anyone can create a contact, what happens when two or more users create the same contact but since they're private, they never know the same person is in the database several times?  

Fair Question!

We have an administration side, and a sales side.  Only the admin side enters all the leads into the database.  We obviously have "Manager/Admin" rights to the database so we are CONSTANTLY duplicate checking (names, phone numbers, etc).  Of course, from time to time, an agent will create a record that we already had information on, and that is just when we combine the records.  It's rare, since we train them to not create new records often (again, as we the admin side enter ALL the leads).

The problem is that my boss, the administrator has entered all the leads as private (so they don't go out to anyone yet) until she duplicate checks them and then releases them.  But now as soon as she either imports the leads or even just creates one record at a time, it goes PUBLIC!   She physically has to change the setting each and every time, even though her default is to "Private."

Any suggestions?

Copper Super Contributor

keithroberts wrote:

Fair Question!

We have an administration side, and a sales side.  Only the admin side enters all the leads into the database.  We obviously have "Manager/Admin" rights to the database so we are CONSTANTLY duplicate checking (names, phone numbers, etc).  Of course, from time to time, an agent will create a record that we already had information on, and that is just when we combine the records.  It's rare, since we train them to not create new records often (again, as we the admin side enter ALL the leads).

The problem is that my boss, the administrator has entered all the leads as private (so they don't go out to anyone yet) until she duplicate checks them and then releases them.  But now as soon as she either imports the leads or even just creates one record at a time, it goes PUBLIC!   She physically has to change the setting each and every time, even though her default is to "Private."

Any suggestions?

We have a similar set up here.  There are the sales people and then the service team, which I'm the head of.  Out of 10 - 12 people, I create about 50% - 75% of all the contacts in the database.  We're currently up to approx. 55,000 contacts.

I do imports quite frequently and often times the data is pretty raw and I need to go in and do a lot of modifications.  All of the contacts are imported as public, so the first thing I have to do is go and mark private for all of them.  It's a pain since I have to do it individually for each contact.  Sometimes my importants are several hundred or a thousand people, which makes it that much more difficult.  But I haven't found a way around that.

I'm still curious about your process and if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few more questions.  I'm an administrator of the database, and so are two other people in the office.  When I mark a contact private, none of the other administrators can see that contact (I have Act Prem 2005,  but I assume this is how it is for all versions).  If this is the case, then if one of your admins enters a contact it could be duplicated with a contact added by a different admin.  I know that in our version of Act, you can make contacts accessible to different teams, so that only that team can see them.  I suppose that would be a way around it.

It's also interesting you don't let your sales people create contacts.  I wish we could do that here because most of our problems are caused by the sales people not entering enough information (phone number, address, etc), so someone else always has to come back to fix the problems.  But we also give additional credit to the person who created the contact as an incentive for people to actually enter people in the database.  We do recruiting, so it would be easy for a recruiter to have an "off the record" database unless we incent them not to. 

Platinum Elite Contributor