Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Contact Created From Duplicate Contact Feature Allows Blank Required Fields

Copper Contributor

New Contact Created From Duplicate Contact Feature Allows Blank Required Fields

[ Edited ]

My company is currently using ACT 10.0 / 2008 V10.0.3. We have purchased 2009, but have not upgraded yet. 

The problem I am having is when you create a new contact using Duplicate Contact...(from Contact on main menu) and select either copy all data or only from primary fields, once the new contact is created, the fields that were once manditory are not anymore and can be left blank.  The warning message with the white exclamation point inside of the red circle doesn't even come up to let you know you've skipped a required field (as set in Define Fields). 

From the research I've done so far, I'm thinking this is a glitch and there is no way to fix it until ACT does.  I came across this very similar article: 

Required Contact Fields Are Able To Be Left Blank When Saving Contact Created From Company Record

Has anyone experienced this, or know of a solution?

<Fixed link>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 12-09-2008 03:09 PM

Re: New Contact Created From Duplicate Contact Feature Allows Blank Required Fields

I have duplicated the issue you described and have reported it as an issue for further research. I will provide an update if the status changes or if an alternative workaround to this issue is identified. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.
Tuned Listener

Re: New Contact Created From Duplicate Contact Feature Allows Blank Required Fields

I would add that required fields are NOT enforced when using Schedule Activity->Schedule With->Contacts->New Contact

Unfortunately, this loophole is allowing our users to circumvent  the business rules we require in our ACT data.

Copper Contributor

This problem still exists in ACT 2010 version 12. I import all my contacts into ACT which seems to cancel out all my mandatory field rules.
Copper Contributor

Good to know the problem still exists in 2010! I think ACT is a great tool, but there are so many minor, glitchy things or loopholes with it.  I wish instead of coming out with a new version every year with all these sub-par features, they'd instead work on fixing all the minor problems that exist in previous versions!

One work-around that I thought of and would like to share is customizing the toolbar (under Tools, Customize --> Menus and Toolbar...).  This probably wont be a great fix for people, but I figured I'd share my idea.  From ACT's main menu, under Contacts, Duplicate Contact is where you have the option to duplicate.  Well you can customize the menu in ACT so that if you don't want someone to have a certain option, such as duplicating a contact, you can simply remove it from the toolbar. 

Another similar option is when customizing the toolbar to try and create a Custom Command.  I'm not sure if it works as I haven't tried it myself, but you'd think you'd be able to create a Custom Command that duplicates a contact the way you want it to be duplicated.  If you're able to create this custom command, you can then delete the original Duplicate option from the menu and then add your new, custom command to replace it.

If anyone tries this, I'd be interested to know if it works!

It is now 2017. They still haven't fixed this issue.

Administrator

Hi Katy,

This has recently been logged as defect D-05557 and is now under reinvestigation.