Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Administrator! Need help

New Administrator! Need help

[ Edited ]

Hi All! I am an IT Admin and we just took over a company that is using this program. I know absolutely nothing about it! I have been scouring the documentation and reading all I can.  They don't have anyone there that installed this anymore so I can't ask them any questions.  

I do have a few questions though. So currently we only have 5 users. 2 of them are using the web client. However, we are putting the program on a server in our domain network so we are thinking that the users that currently use the web version (remote agents) can just connect to the DB via the VPN that they all already have and not create the web server at all.  Would there be any reason I wouldn't want to do that?  Anyone have experience connecting to the DB via VPN?

So as I familiarize myself with the program I wanted to install and do some testing before I do the actual move.  I cannot find anything clear that tells me the difference between a move and a backup/restore.  It looks like the move locks the DB so that noone can access it until it is moved to the new machine.  Is that correct?  Would I be able to just do a back up and have the new version of act look at that file so I can test it before I do the actual move?

Also what is a publisher DB?  What is a subscriber?  I cannot find if this current DB that they are using is a publisher or not - nor can I find what that really means!  

Thanks for your time!!

We are on version 17.0.151.0

It is currently installed on Server 2008R2 and it will be moving to Server 2012

I dont see that the DB is shared??  But I am not sure how it is working if it isn't?  All 5 clients are accessing the same DB.  I just dont see the share button next to this particular DB.  

Also since we are currently using the web version, if we decide not to use this version and just use the client instead, would there be any issues from that?  

And I am assuming that on the download page http://www.act.com/download/download-act!-premium-v17 The client is meant for any non-web version...is that correct?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New Administrator! Need help

I'll start with a couple of simple comments. Using ACT! via a VPN would not be acceptable. ACT! is an I/O bound program and the performance wouldn't be acceptable. Remote synchronization is what you want to use. Move is a special variation of backup/restore that allows keeping the same database name. When you do a backup on one computer and restore it on another computer you need to do a restore as and give the database a new name. ACT! 17 bridged server versions and needs to be carefully handled because of the SQL version.

What you really need to do is contact an ACT! Certified Consultant (ACC) to help with what you want to do. There is a listing of ACCs on the ACT! web site.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

I am with Roy on this. I would invest in a days administration training with a local ACC. It would help you a great deal and almost certainly save you money and time in the long run.

I appreciate the feedback!  

I will look for someone in our area to assist us.  

One question about the VPN though, I got the VPN suggestion from the ACT! Documentation.  

"Sharing an Act! Database Over A Network
The following explains how to set up a shared database on host
and client computers to be used over a local area network (LAN)
or a virtual private network (VPN). The host and client
computers must be able to connect to each other over the LAN
or VPN."

Why would the documentation suggest it if it isn't a feasible option?

Thank you!!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Running over a VPN can cause issues depending permissions on the network/s but yes, you can do it and I have a client who works this way. It is mostly about the speed of connection and pulling through a complete SQL database via a VPN connection rather than using an internal network or running remote database that sync is why I would not normally recommend it. Having said that I can now get 150MB via Lan to some of my clients over a VPN internet connection so it all depends on speed. ACT for WEB is another option you could consider if you have ACT Premium.

Platinum Elite Contributor

As I noted, running ACT! over a VPN is technically possible but not practical. The problem is that with a VPN you have the ACT! program on the local computer but you never have the database on the local computer, only the data you are immediately working with. There is constant interaction between the local ACT! and the remote server database and that interaction is limited by the internet connection. With synchronization you do have a copy of the database on the local computer and the synchronization process exchanges between the local copy and the host database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129