Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Admin having user sync probs... all settings seem correct... HELP!

New Admin having user sync probs... all settings seem correct... HELP!

I'm an experienced ACT 2006 user, but this is my first time to install and administer 9.0.  I've successfully installed the program on all applicable machines, created my main shared database, and created a remote db that my users can access.  So far, so good.

However,  when my remote users try to sync to the main db it won’t work... I keep getting a message saying "ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server."   I’ve checked all my settings three times and they all look correct according to ACT’s documentation:  “accept incoming sync” is enabled on the main database, the Network sync service is running, and it’s pointing to the correct machine, port, and database.   What else could be the problem? 

(FYI - My supervisor seems to not want to believe that this could actually be a network, firewall, or hardware setting problem, instead of a user - er, I mean administrator - issue.  If it is indeed a problem outside of ACT I need to be prepared to prove it... I'm a pretty savvy PC and database user, but not when it comes to network security stuff.  *sigh*)

Nickel Contributor

Re: New Admin having user sync probs... all settings seem correct... HELP!

The error message is indicative of the issue that is occuring. The remote database is failing to make a connection to the host machine.

Firstly, having accept incoming sync's turned on and network sync service is redundant, accept incomming syncs only handles application sync, which requires the application to be open. The network sync service should only be installed on the host machine and the port your using for it must be open. Telnet <IP> <port> from the command prompt will verify connectivity through the desired port. 

Also you can try changing the manage connection information to sync through and IP address rather than a machine name.