Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Act v16 setup

New Act v16 setup

I'm new to Act, and have been tasked to setup v16 Premium for a few users.  The documentation isn't quite clear as to how to do what I think I want though.  I'd like to host the database on our server, with web access for phones.  However I also want the clients to be able to use the act windows client to access the same database.  I don't really see any explanation on how to host the windows client database on the server (except maybe installing a client onto the server?  But I also saw you can't install the windows client and web components on the same server?) 

Can someone set me straight?

Thanks!

Silver Super Contributor

Re: New Act v16 setup

You install the Web version on the server and the Windows version on the clients and point the clients to the database on the server.  The Windows version and the Web version are different installers.  Once you have the Web version installed distribute the PAD file that is created on the Web server to the Windows clients so they can access the database on the Web server.  If I were you I would hire an Act! Certified Consultant to come in and do it for you.  That way it would get done properly and they would set up backups, etc. for you too.  Setting up an Act! for Web install for your first time can be time consuming.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks, it was actually very easy, just the documentation made it seem like web server handled only web/mobile clients.

Unless I'm mistaken, since it's hosted in MS SQL Server there would be no issues with our VSS-based backup software..
Bronze Super Contributor

robm,
You'd be better advised to use Act!'s own Scheduled Backup to put everything into a Zip file.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org