Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network sync issue

Network sync issue

I just installed network sync service for ACT 2009 onto our server. I guess that our users are suppose be able to sync to the parent data base even if ACT is not running. However this is not working. It is showing on the desktop that Network sync service is running, but if we try and sync with ACT closed the sync fails. Am I doing somthing wrong, or is there and error with Network Sync?

Re: Network sync issue

What is your error?
Nickel Contributor

First thing I'd check is whether the Windows Firewall on the ACT! server is enabled, and if so, is there an exception for the Sync Port.

The easiest way to check if you can reach the sync server is to open a browser, and type in the following:

http://<IP ADDRESS OF COMPUTER>:<SYNCH PORT>

Here is an example:

http://192.168.1.2:65100

Your browser should produce the following result:

Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureRemotingException: Server requires a secure connection for this client at Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureServerChannelSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpServerTransportSink.ServiceRequest(Object state) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ProcessRequestNow()

If you're not getting this displayed within your browser while you're behind your firewall in the office, then you either have not properly started the service, misconfigured the service, or did not enable the appropriate exception in the Windows Firewall.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Nickel Contributor

Quigely seems to have covered this for the most part but another couple of tests you can run from the command prompt would be

telnet >ip address< >port #<

a successful telnet will turn the cmd prompt black and it will say telnet at the top

Also the error message is very important with sync issues.

Thanks for help I am going to try these mothods this morning when I get in the office. I'll let guys know if they work.

I was finally able fix the problem. I had to reinstall net sync and the point it to the correct port. I appreciate the added info.