Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Network Sync

We were using ACT 6.0. We upgraded to Premium 2009 Version 11. The entire upgrade went well except for Synchronizing (installed Network Sync Only). The only way I can get the clients to sync is to open ACT on the Server, log into the Database and select Accept Incoming Syncs. Users often get a message that says Synchronization has failed: Server Error Description: Synchronization failed due to an out of memory error on the server (but I see nothing on the server).  If I try to use the Network Sync Service users get “Unable to acquire Sync Server Object. Server Error Description: Failed to setup local sync entity. Datastore is inaccessible. The Server is running Win2003 Server fully patched. Any ideas are appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Network Sync

Change the ACT! Network Sync Service logon account from Local System to a local administrator account.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

The problem you are having trying to use the network sync service is likely a timeout error. I have been able to fix that problem by extending the timeout values. However, they are located in a config file and I am reluctant to post directions in an open forum.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy may be correct that it is a timeout issue but let me ask a few more questions:

1) You state that you can sync if you go to the server/computer on which ACT is installed and to which the users are syncing.  Are saying that no one can sync unless you start ACT on the server? Or only that the problems are reduced when ACT is running on the server?

2) What else is running on the computer/server to which the users sync with ACT?

3) How large and busy is the network?

4) How many simultaneous users trying to sync?

It sounds to me like there are problems affecting performance.  While changing the timeouts may help, sounds more like a short term solution that may come back.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Binary Star Technology, Inc
Tuned Listener

Roy

Why the concern about giving out the information on the ACT config file on a public forum?

I will concede that special care needs to be taken, similar to manually modifying the registry, when accessing and modifying the ACT config file.  But it is basically just a .NET configuration file, which is an XML file, which is a text file with a special format.  Given sufficient warnings and good instructions, modifying the file can be done with notepad or similar text edit programs.

Of course, first step is to make a copy of the config file so even if someone messes it up, you can just copy it back.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Platinum Elite Contributor

That is my personal choice. For those people that have contacted me directly through a private message, I have supplied the information on modifying the timeouts. If you wish to contact me directly I will supply the information to you. If you then choose to post it publicly, that would be up to you.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Just wondered.

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource

I appreciate the responses.

On the ACT Server (nothing else running on this box) I have to open ACT, sign in to it, and select accept incoming Sync. If I close ACT and try to use the Sync Service users cannot connect at all.  

This is not a large network (80 wks 10 servs.) There are only 8 remote databases. Gigabit network. The Server is an ML350 with 3GB of ram. I can't believe it's a performance issue.

Roy - I sent you an email outside the forum last night. I'll resend it.

Thanks

Chuck   

Tuned Listener

Hopefully, my next questions are not too simple:

1) I agree that your server is fine.  I am running a smaller network on a less powerful setup without issue.

2) Is there a firewall running on your server?  Your port may be being blocked by the firewall.  I had this problem when I went into a customer where I was not the server admin.  Admin forgot that a firewall was presented - two hours later I found that a firewall was present.  Opening the port solved the problem.

3) Were the databases being used by the remote users created by creating a remote database from the server?

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource

I Like Simple....

The first thing I did was turn off the firewall and stop the Windows Firewall Service. Either way (ACT open or Network Sync running) a Netstat -a shows port 65100 listening.

I upgraded to the new version like this - I uninstalled the old version on the server (through add/remove prgms reboot) and installed the new version. Upgraded the database on the Server.

Uninstalled on clients (through add/remove prgms reboot) and installed the new version. Upgraded the remote database and synched. (Yes, this is when I found the sync issue and I found if I opened ACT on the Server it worked.) 

Sorry that the answer to your question wasn't simple.

Do you think - If I create a new remote database from the server now that everything has been upgraded and synchronized that the Network Sync would work? 

Chuck

Director of Information Technology

AIR Graphics

Quincy, MA.

Tuned Listener

Okay, looks like you did all the proper startup tasks.

1) I know that this sounds silly but is the ACT version on the server the Premium version?  At the moment, the version on the server acts like the standard does - ACT must be running for a sync to be allowed.

2) If the version is ACT, then a "service" is not starting automatically.  Go to the Services panel and look for the ACT services and see if one has not started after a reboot.  Unless I misunderstand the specs about the Premium version.

3) Won't hurt to create a new remote database and run a test by loading the remote database onto one of the computers.  It's what I would do.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource