Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync: (remote side) sync in background?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Network Sync: (remote side) sync in background?

Hi,

I have setup Network Sync successfully. The publishing database is stored locally on a terminal server in London. The remote database is stored locally on a terminal server in Asia.  Both servers are on the same network (site-to-site VPN).

On the remote server, I want users to be able to login and use an up-to-date database. However, despite configuring the sync with one user (with admin rights in Act), only some of the settings are carried forward for other users logging into the same server. When logging in as other users, the sync settings are all there, except the schedule, which as reverted back to 'none'.

I don't want to have to manually setup the sync schedule for any user that might login to that server, so how else can I achieve a background sync?

• I noticed there is no 'service' installed in the operating system, so this doesn't appear to be an option?
  • What about Task Scheduler?
  • Or a scheduled batch file?
  • Or a login script?
  • Or a login script to make a registry change to set the schedule?

Any pointers? When configured for one user, where are the sync settings stored?

A better solution might be to have a proper windows service installed on the remote side to handle the sync, with all the settings outside of the Act application. I notice a service gets installed on the publishing side, so it would seem sensible to have the same on the remote side for this type of scenario.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mikeyorke
‎11-11-2016 03:08 AM
Administrator

Re: Network Sync: (remote side) sync in background?

Hi Mike,

If my understanding of your problem is correct, then you only need to set up a Sync Schedule as the main Admin user of the remote database. The scheduler will run in the background as a service and will handle the syncing of the changes made in the database by any of the users. There is no need to enable scheduled syncing for each user of the same remote database.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mikeyorke
‎11-11-2016 03:08 AM
Administrator

Hi Mike,

If my understanding of your problem is correct, then you only need to set up a Sync Schedule as the main Admin user of the remote database. The scheduler will run in the background as a service and will handle the syncing of the changes made in the database by any of the users. There is no need to enable scheduled syncing for each user of the same remote database.
Copper Contributor

Hi Gary.

Thanks for the reply.

Having logged on the receiving side as an Act Admin, I can see the Sync Log is showing the database sync'ing every hour (as configured) without me being logged onto the server, so it does appear to be happening in the background.

Many thanks.

Tuned Listener

Hey Gary,

Today some of the users reported the issue regarding Sync. They were not able to sync with the Main ACT Database server.

We have configured Incoming Sync in ACT Application it self because when we configure with Network Sync Scheduler the sync wont work.

So we need to configure incoming sync in ACT application and keep the Application ON on the server, however if by mistake if the Act Application close the sync wont work.

Can you please help me how to make the Network sync working.

We have installed network sync and configured with listening port 65200 and added the database and started sync but since this was not working with the user we start incoming sync.

For your information ACT Main Database and Application is Installed on VM and user sync the remote database through VPN.

Your help is appreciated as usual.

Regards,

Aasif

Administrator

Hi Aasmi,

What exactly was happening when you try and use the Network Sync Service? Do you get any errors in the sync log on the remote database?

You can find detailed setup and management info on the Network Sync Service in the following Knowledgebase articles:

Tuned Listener

When user try to sync from Remote DB when Network Sync Application is on we get the attaches error.

Administrator

Hi Aasmi,

Please see the following article for suggested solutions and troubleshooting steps for this issue: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24341
Tuned Listener

Thank you Gary..

Will check with the steps and get back to you if we have any issues...

Thanks and Regards,

Aasif