Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync issues

Network Sync issues

We're having some issues with network sync in v9.0.1.162 - it has worked in the past. 

I'm starting to think it's an issue with free space on our C: drive of the server.  The sync server only has a 4 GB C: drive with at best 500 MB free, and our database directory (on the D: drive) is about 600 MB.  But, of course, we're not synchronizing the entire database.

What I'm wondering is this: does ACT create some kind of temp file during synchronization that's on the C: drive?  If so, can I move it?

It seems like my c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\temp folder grows during a sync.  And I just now changed my temp location to the d: drive, so I guess I will find out relatively soon if that fixes my issue.  But I'm wondering if anybody can verify how this works for me.

Thanks.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Network Sync issues

Yes it does create some cache files but deletes them when done with the sync. If it is not deleting the temp files, you may want to try recreating your remote database.
Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation

It's definitely not deleting the temp files, but could that be because the sync never quite finishes?

If I recreate the remote database, how do I get the changes my remote user has made but been unable to sync back in to the main database?

Here's what the sync log shows in ACT - looks like it starts, but I no longer get the line that says "Synchronization Completion Done" like I used to:

======== SYNC SESSION - 5/30/2008 3:34:59 PM ========

[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:35:00 PM ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:35:00 PM ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:35:02 PM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:35:13 PM ]Message: Server establishing synchronization with remote database: REMOTE_ACT_DATABASE_VPN
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:35:13 PM ]Message: Server generated remote sync session identifier: 5b129d69-246f-4e0a-b0e2-a291e3f974da:<Remote_Act_Database_VPN>
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:35:43 PM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:36:37 PM ]Message: Server initialized database send session: 22
[ Info | 5/30/2008 3:37:20 PM ]Message: Server initialized.
[ Info | 5/30/2008 4:05:33 PM ]Message: Items received:
Total Records Synchronized - 0
Files - Attempted 6, Completed 6
Exceptions Occurred - 0

[ Info | 5/30/2008 4:05:33 PM ]Message: Items sent:
Total Records Synchronized - 0
Files - Attempted 1, Completed 1
Exceptions Occurred - 0

I have a little more info to share on this problem.  Somehow the amount of data to be synchronized has grown by 350 MB.  My client swears they didn't change the sync set, but nevertheless, there's a ton more data to sync now.  It seems to time out, even when synching over the LAN.  Is there a maximum amount of data the sync server can handle per session?  Or maybe a timeout value?

Or, if I need to just re-create the remote database, how do I get the changes in my remote db that I haven't been able to synch back into the main database back into the main database?

Copper Super Contributor

If you need to re-create a remote database, and need the information that hasn't been synchronized, backup your old database, export that information into the main (publisher database), then re-create a new remote.
Michael Kadlec
Act! Certified Consultant
Corelogix Corporation