Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync fails unless databse is open

Network Sync fails unless databse is open

I have been using ACT! 11.0 ver 11.1.183.0 Hotfix 1 since it was released and have had no issues with the remote databases syncing with the server.  At the advise of our IT guy, I upgraded my network card driver from ver 7.0.36.0 to 8.10.3.0.  The network card is and Intel 82547EI.  After the upgrade the remote computers would not sync.  I found that I could not start ACT! Network Sync Service, though the icon appeared in my task bar and would give me the option to Start Sync Service.  When trying to start the service, I get the error msg "The ACT! Network Sync Service could not be started.  The serice did not start due to a logon failure." 

Since then I have uninstalled the new netword card driver and reinstalled the old, but it didn't solve my sync issue.  I have now uninstalled the Network Sync & Internet Sync programs and reinstalled them with no success.  I then uninstall the sync programs along the the ACT program and reinstalled all three.  Sill no success.

After rebooting, I've run netstat -a and find that port 65100 is being monitored if ACT is open and "allow incoming sync" is checked.  If I leave the ACT program open, I can do a sync over the internet.  If it is closed, I get the error message, "ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server.  'Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running.  Also be sure you are conntected to your network.  Contact you administrator for assistance."  With the ACT program closed, port 65100 is not being monitored.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Network Sync fails unless databse is open

Hello rcrader,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. The reason that you are getting the error when trying to start the Network Sync service is that the service is probably configured to use port 65100, which is already in use by the built-in application sync service in ACT! and Windows will not let two services use the same port simultaneously. To remedy this, you will need to uncheck "Accept Incoming Syncs" then close and reopen. This will turn off the application sync (which you do not need when using Network Sync) and free up that port, so you can then start the Network Sync service. In addition, with Network Sync you do not need to have ACT! open for the remotes to sync.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you for your quick response.  Yes,the service is configured to use port 65100.  I have tried running the Network Sync with "Accept Incoming Syncs" unchecked and the application closed.  No luck.  When I try to start the service, I get the error message "The ACT! Network Sync Service could not be started.  The service did not start due to a logon failure".  I have also tried to get the service running by changing the port to 65200, allowing my router to forward this port and I still had no luck.  I've since changed the port back to 65100.

This may also have to do with the login configuration of the network sync service. To check this:

- From the Start menu, choose Run and type services.msc

- In the list of local services, locate the ACT! Network Sync Service, right-click on it and select Properties

- Under the Log On tab, verify that Local System Account is selected. if it is not, then select this account.

- If it is, then the issue may be that this account does not have proper permissions to start the service

- Try changing, by selecting "This account" and put in the log in information for an Admin user on this machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have changed the log on to my administation account (both local & network) on this machine and I get the following message when trying to start the Network Service:  "The ACT! Network Sync Service could not be started  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

There is a possible cause for this error that is not very common, but you can check it out in KB Article 20213.

Greig Hollister

I ran the command and did not receive any errors.  If my event viewer log is full, it is set to overwrite any files that are older than 7 days.

[ Edited ]

I rebooted my computer to install updates and after rebooting I get a request from MS to send some error reports.  All of the error reports are the same.  Does this help?

Error signature:

Eventtype:  clr20r3       P1:  pyqey5fnlir2bzynws4uxtdmgz2ty1ol

P2:  11.1.183.0            P3:  49a4293d             P4:  system       P5: 2.0.0.0

P6:  4ba85929             P7:  38d0         P8:  131           P9:  system.componentmodel.win32

The error report contains the following files:

Act.framework.synchronization.service.exe.mdmp

Version.txt

Mdmpmem.hdmp

Copy of report:

QueueVer=1UI LCID=1033Date=6/23/2010Time=12:30:02 PMReportSize=20875Bytes=bytesKilobytes=KBMegabytes=MBMoreInfo=What data does this error report contain?ErrorSubPath=Generic\clr20r3\pyqey5fnlir2bzynws4uxtdmgz2ty1ol\11.1.183.0\49a4293d\system\2.0.0.0\4ba85929\38d0\131\system.componentmodel.win32Heap=mdmpmem.hdmpStage1URL=/StageOne/Generic/clr20r3/pyqey5fnlir2bzynws4uxtdmgz2ty1ol/11.1.183.0/49a4293d/system/

2.0.0.0/4ba85929/38d0/131/system.componentmodel.win32.htmStage2URL=/dw/generictwo.asp?EventType=clr20r3&P1=pyqey5fnlir2bzynws4uxtdmgz2ty1ol&P2=11.1.183.0&P3=49a4293d&P4=system&P5=

2.0.0.0&P6=4ba85929&P7=38d0&P8=131&P9=system.componentmodel.win32&Sig=NAGeneral_Reportee=MicrosoftBP0=clr20r3BP1=

pyqey5fnlir2bzynws4uxtdmgz2ty1olBP2=11.1.183.0BP3=49a4293dBP4=systemBP5=2.0.0.0BP6=4ba85929BP7=38d0BP8=131BP9=

system.componentmodel.win32BP10=NILCBP=11DWVer0=12DWVer1=0DWVer2=6413DWVer3=1000Details_Sig_Body=EventType : clr20r3     P1 : pyqey5fnlir2bzynws4uxtdmgz2ty1ol     P2 : 11.1.183.0     P3 : 49a4293d     P4 : system     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 4ba85929     P7 : 38d0     P8 : 131     P9 : system.componentmodel.win32QueueMode=268435458EventID=5000ReportingFlags=14UIFlags=69LoggingFlags=0MiscFlags=0EventLogSource=

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error ReportingGeneral_AppName=Act.Framework.Synchronization.Service.exe

Final_Link=Prevent this problem in the future

[Edit: formatted content to fit on screen]

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-23-2010 03:56 PM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to butt in on this one but why not just change the port number? I know its a workaround rather than a fix but it doesn't really matter what port you use. (Unless someone from Sage wants to correct me on this one).

Turn on network sync in the system tray but use port 65101 for example. 

In any remote databases go to 'Tools -> Manage Connection Information' and change the port to 65101 also.

Hope this helps.

I have already tried chaning the port with no success.  The issue is that Network Sync service will not start.

Thanks for your input.