Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync Service on Separate Computer

Network Sync Service on Separate Computer

Refer to Sage KB Answer ID 21840 re Network Sync Service and ACT! DB on separate computers. SER1 in my case is Windows 7 hosting the DB not only for ACT! 2012 Premium Windows clients but also for the ACT! 2012 Premium Web site that runs on a separate Windows 7 box (WEB1). During installation of ACT! 2012 Premium for Web on WEB1, I declined to install SQL Server Express since there are no databases hosted on that box. Does WEB1 meet the prerequisites to be a network sync server? I am asking because ACT! Network Sync service has subsequently been installed on both boxes for sync inside the firewall, but Remote1 is only able to network sync with SER1. Its Sync Result with WEB1 is "Unable to acquire Sync Server object. Server Error Description: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Contact your administrator for assistance."

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Network Sync Service on Separate Computer

Can WEB1 access SER1 SQL port via firewall?
Did you set the login for the service to an account with access to both Web1 and SER1?

Re: Network Sync Service on Separate Computer

[ Edited ]

Sync success via WEB1 has been obtained.  First of all, prior to learning enough to understand the suggested solutions, I manually created the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express ACT7 instance on WEB1.  My intent was to insure that the sync service has available all SQL libraries that it or the ACT! Premium libraries might require for the sync service to work.  This may or may not be a prerequisite, but, either way, it proved insufficient to resolve the error.  Further study led me to these interpretations of the suggested solutions, both of which had to be implemented for sync success:  Use SER1 actdiag to find the SER1 SQL port and create a SER1 firewall exception for that port; use WEB1 services.msc to change the WEB1 network sync log-in from its local system account to a WEB1 administrative privileges account that also has SER1 user privileges.