Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync Service memory hog in ACT 2009 11.0?

Copper Super Contributor

Network Sync Service memory hog in ACT 2009 11.0?

I haven't been able to locate additional information on the ACT KB for the Network Sync Service beyond how to configure it on a beefy server with tons of RAM.  We have a main network service providing the majority of network syncs with Remote Databases.  I’ve noticed over time that the Network Sync service appears to increase its RAM utilization to the point that it no longer functions and can’t respond to sync requests (sometime up to 1.5GB of memory).  The service should release memory requirements after a successful sync, but I can’t find any functional support article on the ACT website regarding sync session limitations for performance recommendations.  To resolve the issue I am having to occassionally stop/start the service to release the memory.  Then users can sync again.

I'm starting to set up the Network Sync service on other services to load-balance the syncs, but I would like an recommendations on how I can improve the scenario and get this working properly.  I've already applied the step from KB 23526 and that has helped a bit, but users still run into sync issues. I know I could simply stop/start the sync service every morning at 3am and users should be fine syncing, but I don't know if this is recommended or not.  Any ideas? 

Re: Network Sync Service memory hog in ACT 2009 11.0?

We've had the same problem from the time we began using ACT! (Premium for Workgroups 2006). We now use 2009 11.0, and we were hoping that the problem would either go away or at least improve a bit after the upgrade; it didn't. I have to log-in to the server and restart ACT! and MSSQL once every few days. I just wait for one of our sales staff to send me an email letting me know they are seeing the dreaded "Out of Memory" error. Highly annoying. I've tried every suggestion and then some to make this stop to no avail.
Copper Super Contributor

My ACT CC sent me a script that they run every night on their ACT systems as a workaround.  It basically does the stop/restart for both the Sync Service and SQL.

1.  Create an empty .CMD file.  I called mine RestartNSS.cmd.

2.  Edit the file and paste this into it for NSS:

net stop "ACT! Network Sync Service"
net start "ACT! Network Sync Service"

3.  If you want to include the SQL service, you could add:

net stop "SQL Server (ACT7)"

net start "SQL Server (ACT7)"

4.  Save the CMD.

5.  Use the Server Task Scheduler and set a task to run the CMD file on whatever schedule you want. 

I just set this up this morning on a server that has been giving us the majority of these OutOfMemory issues.  I'll post here again in a while to report the results.

Copper Contributor

That's an awesome solution! Thank you!!!