Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync Security

Network Sync Security

Hi All,

I was reading through the white papers for the sync services and noticed that data encryption is only available with the Internet Sync. Does anyone know if you can enable the "64-bit DES encryption"  for network sync? 

I have a hosted act for web server and need to sync it to our main database. Can I used the network sync (with port forwarding) or do users need to connect via VPN for the data to be secure?

Cheers,

Sam

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Network Sync Security

Hi Sam,

Good question.

When the SQL version of Act! was released, with Act! 2005, the intent was that Network Sync service would be used inside the firewall. Then it became common practice to use it via Internet because it was a more straightforwrd setup then establishing Internet Sync Service. I don't know that the whitepaper infers that only Internet Sync offers encryption, it refers to it in the overall context of 'Features and Capabilities of Act! Synchronization' on page 5. I would think that it would be available to network Sync service but perhaps turned off by default on install, I can't be sure. Maybe omebody from Swiftpage could comment. Running within a VPN removes the concern but does add overhead.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought the exact same thing, Page 5 leads you to think encryption is offered on both types of sync.

I just realised I wasnt looking at the v16 whitepaper (I was reading http://www.thecrmconnection.com/pdf/ACT!-2010-Synchronization-Whitepaper.pdf) which on page 16 shows the differences between network and internet sync as shown below.....

• Inside firewall/LAN connection (Application or Network sync)
o TCP/IP.
o Local or Wide Area Network connection.
o VPN (Virtual Private Network).
o RAS (Remote Access).

• Outside Firewall (Internet sync)
o Encrypted via 64-bit encryption, or
o Secure Sockets Layer (HTTPS).

The v16 whitepaper has removed this paragraph so it looks like encryption is available for network sync...

The white paper says the encrption " is configurable and can be disabled via the application config file"..... can someone shed some light on how I would check this?

Cheers,

Sam

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

I checked the config files and the encrption is on, however this wont mean anything if the network sync doesnt implement it.

Can someone from swiftpage please confirm this? 

Cheers,

Sam