Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Load Balancing To Speed Up ACT!

Copper Contributor

Network Load Balancing To Speed Up ACT!

I may be way off base here but I want to know if there is a way to load balance the traffic to and from my ACT! Server.  The server has 2x1Gb interface cards in it, but we are only using one at this time.  I know that there are several applications out there that will take advantage of multiple interface cards if they are present on the machine in order to balance the traffic to and from the workstations.

So if I assign another IP address to the second interface card and place it on the network, will ACT!/Windows load balance the traffic to and from the server across both cards?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Network Load Balancing To Speed Up ACT!

That would be a question for the network design... although I can't see the network traffic for ACT! being much of an issue.

You could set the PAD files to use the IP and have some using one PAD and some using a PAD with the other IP
Copper Contributor

Hmmm.  Like I said, I was off base.  But here a database design question for you to increase speed:

When I design systems for Oracle and SQL deployments I usually follow this rule for performance:

All drives are SCSI, SAS or FC
All drives on SAN or local machine.
All drives RAID1

One or more drives for Heavy Written Data Base(s)
One or more drives for Heavy Read Data Base(s)
One or more drives for Log Files
One or more drives for System Files

Is there any way to take advantage of that formula with ACT! to increase speed and funtionality?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Well, you put the system files (as they are normally) in %Program Files%
You can put the databases where ever you choose.
Tuned Listener

"So if I assign another IP address to the second interface card and place it on the network, will ACT!/Windows load balance the traffic to and from the server across both cards?" No ACT will not load balance, but I would advise against that type of configuration without having special software to load balance the multiple NICs. Using Port Aggregation or Load Balancing software is the best way to get the most throughput from your NICs. SQL is cluster aware but ACT application is not, so not much you can do for load balancing/Fail over for ACT as far as using clustering and SANs. If you have ACT setup for Synchronization or was using ACT Premium for WEB you can have multiple servers. For example one server would be the DB/SQL and one can have the ACT Premium for Web/IIS. Or one DB/SQL and one the Sync Service (either Network sync or Internet Sync).