Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need help mapping Outlook Notes to ACT! Premium

Copper Contributor

Need help mapping Outlook Notes to ACT! Premium

[ Edited ]

I am having a problem trying to import Outlook Contact Notes into ACT! when I import Outlook Contacts into ACT! There are 8 people in our company who have been using Outlook as a poor man's customer relations database and we have made pretty extensive use of the notes area in Outlook Contacts to track information on individual contacts. There are lots of notes in the notes section.

In the ACT! Knowledge base I found an entry addressing how to get around problems---particularly truncated entries---importing Outlook notes into ACT! The entry suggested exporting the Outlook contacts into a CSV file, pulling this file into Excel and running a small macro that deleted carriage returns, end of line formats, etc. so that the notes could be mapped into ACT! and pulled in cleanly.

When I run the macro some of the Contacts Notes are fine, but many of them are deleted and there is an entry of  #VALUE! in the notes column instead of the notes themsleves.

I haven't tried importing the Outlook Contacts directly, instead of going via the route of using the .CSV file, because I had created one unduplicated Outlook Contact File in a Shared Folder on our exchange server, but ACT! appears to only "see" and import from the personal Outlook Contact file, and cannot be directed to a Group Contact file on a shared folder set up.

Can anyone suggest a way to pull in all of the notes in the Outlook Records? Thanks.

Message Edited by Stevewest07 on 12-24-2008 10:13 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need help mapping Outlook Notes to ACT! Premium

Have you tried the method as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/9moz2l. It can also do Exchange

Have you had a look in Outlook or CSV for the notes that show up as #VALUE! to see if there's something odd in the note that you could run another Excel macro to clean?

Copper Contributor

Re: Need help mapping Outlook Notes to ACT! Premium

Thanks, Mike. Your note really helped. In reading over the Knowledge Base article you sent, I realized that when I had tried that route before I was not mapping the Outlook notes in the body of the Outlook Contact to the notes section in ACT!. This time when I did it the notes imported perfectly.So I think I can figure out some way to move our collective Outlook Contacts into the ACT! database.

I still can't get the Outlook-to-CSV-to-Excel-to-ACT! method to work. I don't see anything strange about the Contacts and notes that show up with the #VALUE! error code in Excel. So can't figure out what's wrong there.

But, in any case, at least I've got an approach that will work. Really appreciate it.

Steve