Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need Email Preference Setting Explanations

Loyal Listener

Need Email Preference Setting Explanations

We recently upgraded ACT! Premium from 2008 to 2010. Previously we did not take advantage of the integration with Outlook.

As part of the install I configured all the clients to use Outlook as the default email system. That was easy enough, no issues.

My questions are regarding screens 5 and 6 in the Email Setup Wizard, and how we can prevent certain emails from being recorded in history all together, for the sender and recipient.

On Screen 5  and 6 when you select Make history private, what history is it making private? The history that is recorded for just the logged in user? Or will emails sent by that user to other ACT! Contacts be private?  (It doesn't make sense that when we have that check marked emails are still recorded in history.)

On Screen 6 what does the Exclude My Record from history accomplish? We have that check marked, but it does not seem to do anything.

My question regarding the ability to prevent an email from being recorded in history is this: When creating an email in Outlook and then selecting None for ACT! History on the Add-Ins menu will the message be prevented from recording history for the sender and the recipient? For example, I want to send a time off request to my supervisor, we are both contacts in the ACT! Database. Will selecting none in the ACT! History drop down box prevent the email from being recorded in my history as well as my supervisors? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need Email Preference Setting Explanations

Hello Synergetic308,

In answer to your questions:

1) On Screen 5  and 6 when you select Make history private, what history is it making private? The history that is recorded for just the logged in user? Or will emails sent by that user to other ACT! Contacts be private?  (It doesn't make sense that when we have that check marked emails are still recorded in history.)

When history is marked as Private, only the user who created the history item (record manager) can access it. This would be the user login info that was used when the ACT! address book was added to Outlook.

2) On Screen 6 what does the Exclude My Record from history accomplish? We have that check marked, but it does not seem to do anything.

This means that emails will not attach the history of your user contact record (My Record). Most people leave this box unchecked.

3) My question regarding the ability to prevent an email from being recorded in history is this: When creating an email in Outlook and then selecting None for ACT! History on the Add-Ins menu will the message be prevented from recording history for the sender and the recipient? For example, I want to send a time off request to my supervisor, we are both contacts in the ACT! Database. Will selecting none in the ACT! History drop down box prevent the email from being recorded in my history as well as my supervisors? 

If you manually choose to exclude an email from being recorded in history, it will not record in anyone's history.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.