Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MyFax Icon Not Showing Up

Copper Contributor

MyFax Icon Not Showing Up

I am trying to install MyFax plugin for ACT!10 but I am having issues (big suprise).  It installs cleanly, and it is in my Add Remove Programs but it is not in ACT!.  I cant mail merge and send to FAX and the ICON for MyFax is missing from the toolbar.  I called MyFax for support and got NO help.  He passed the buck to ACT! and told me to call them for help.  Well, if you read my other post http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=Prem&thread.id=542 you know that is not an option.  Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?
Copper Contributor

Re: MyFax Icon Not Showing Up

Try this... look at the file DependentDlls.xml which should be located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 10.
Open DependentDlls.xml using Notepad and look for any reference to MyFax addon files.  Remove any tags containing MyFax entries.

DependentDlls.xml is ACT!'s plug-in exclusion list.  If an unhandled exception happened in the plugin, ACT! will add it to this file and never attempt to load it again.  If you do find MyFax listed, you should also have some indication as to what error occurred in the file ACTLOG.xml at the same location.  (You may have to remove the entry and re-launch ACT! to duplicate the error in the log).

More info about this process can be found in Xavier's blog on the developer site: http://community.act.com/sage/blog/article?message.uid=135

HTH,
jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Copper Contributor

I get <![CDATA[C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins\LinkDataWrapper.dll]]><![CDATA[C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins\MyFax.ACTPlugin.dll]]> in the file every time I try to open MyFax.
Copper Contributor

This means MyFax is failing during plug-in load for some reason.  In your actlog.xml, do you see something like the following:

<Message><![CDATA[Attempting_x0020_to_x0020_Load_x0020_plugin_x0020_C_x003A__x005C_Program_x0020_ Files_x005C_ACT_x005C_Act_x0020_for_x0020_Windows_x005C_Plugins_x005C_MyFax.ACTPlugin.dll at_x0020_Act.UI.PluginManager.LoadPlugins_x0028__x0029__x0020_in_x0020__x003A_line_x0020_0]]></Message>
    </Message>

You'll have to be sure it's removed from DependentDlls.xml, then try to launch ACT! again.  Then, you should get something like the above entry, followed by some information about why it failed to load.

Since ACT!'s adding it to dependentdlls.xml, ACT! either catches an exception (which should be logged per the above) or ACT! does not find an implementation of its IPlugin interface within MyFax.ACTPlugin.dll.  If the latter, you should NOT see an entry like the following:

<Message><![CDATA[It_x0027_s_x0020_a_x0020_IPluginat_x0020_Act.UI.PluginManager.LoadPlugins_ x0028__x0029__x0020_in_x0020__x003A_line_x0020_0]]></Message>
    </Message>

This message tells us that ACT! found its IPlugin interface in the assembly.

LinkDataWrapper.dll is fine, it should be listed in DependentDlls.xml along with a few other files that support plug-ins, but aren't actual plug-ins themselves.

HTH,
jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Copper Contributor

This is happening on the other machine that had FaxAdmin and WinFax installed on them with ACT! 2006 before the upgrade.  Something is not being removed properly during the unistall of ACT! 2006 and these programs.
Copper Contributor

Time grew short and I had to bail on trying to fix 3 of the machines that were giving us issues.  The 3 that had FaxAdmin and WinFax installed on them gave us nothing but grief.  ACT!08 wouldn’t uninstall cleanly, we had to manually uninstall it before upgrading to 10.  Then 10 wouldn’t install cleanly without errors, so we had to manually uninstall that and NO the brute force uninstaller that ACT has up in their knowledge base would not work.  When we could finally get ACT!10 on the system, it wouldn’t work right with Outlook 2007.  Hours went by troubleshooting, and re-installing software .Net, MS Updates and when we finally got it all figured out so ACT! and Outlook would play nice together, I couldn’t get the MyFax plug in to work with ACT!10, and our ACC couldn’t give us any useful solutions for our problems so we had to pull the plug on trying to make it work.  We replaced those 3 machines with clean build workstations and fresh installs of the software.

One of the user machines that was giving us really confusing errors when we tried to send email generated from ACT! we were able to fix by deleting the user’s profile on the local machine and recreating it.

I have to tell you that from an administrator’s standpoint ACT! is HORRIBLE!  I don’t care that they claim to be “The #1 Selling Contact Management Software”, there has got to be something else out there that is better.  And when I find it I am going to dump this POS software, because I am not going to go through another ACT! upgrade like this one.
Copper Contributor

Well, here we are 2 days after the rollout and I am still putting out fires.

I just ran into this issue again on a machine that cant just be replaced.  It has too many other programs that are critical on it and there is no way that I can just kick the user off for 8 hours while I try to figure this nonsense out again.  I am at a loss.  There are so many issues and bugs with ACT! and all of the add ons that are needed to make this thing a usefull tool I dont see why anybody keeps it.  Has anyone else ever run into this problem with the MyFax plugin not working?  Anybody out there that can give me some useful advice?