Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My remote database fails to synch at exactly one hour

Tuned Listener

My remote database fails to synch at exactly one hour

[ Edited ]
[This just in:  I have noticed that on every occassion since my first datbase kept crapping out on the synch it is exactly at the one hour mark, right down to the second.]

Here is a new one.

I keep my master ACT! database (2008, version 10) on a desktop here at my house. 

I have two laptops at the house as well, both act as remote databases, synching with the master.

The first remote database synched about a week ago, however, since that time I keep getting the following error message after it works for about an hour at attempting to synch:

Synchronization has failed.  Server Error Description:  Synchronization timed out.  Contact your administrator for assistance.

My other remote database does synch, as do two other off-site remote users.

Anybody have any idea why this single database is being so troublesome and timing out all the time?

Message Edited by ddalton432 on 02-27-2008 06:22 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: My remote database fails to synch at exactly one hour

I think I can explaing the exactly 1 hour synch error. Fixing the problem could be deeper.

ACT! has some timeout values, one of which is "DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Long" = 3600 seconds. (familiar?) You can actually change this setting, but it isn't always beneficial if the problem is deeper.

How long has it been since you successfully synchronized this machine? This is common sense, but I'll say it anyways, the longer since your last sync the more info needs to be transferred, and thus the longer the sync required.

2 cases I can think of:
  1. Many, many changes have been made to either this specific Remote (import possibly, or a very large file was attached), or many changes made to the server and the rest of the sync machines making the sync especially long.
  2. There could be a corrupted file attached to the DB messing up your synch.

If it's #1, sometimes you can sync multiple times, even though it times out, the sync does get further along and might finish the next time. But that's a might. If you bring the machine in to your home and use an ethernet cable to connect the machine you can transfer a lot more data than over a VPN.

If it's #2, it's a little more hairy. If there's very little new data on this remote, recreating might be the simplest.

Could it simply be this user has a bad internet connection? I have a customer who lives on a ranch in the country. In his case, the remote synch software can be amazing, but if he can't transfer info, not much can be done.

Ben Leong
Certified ACT! Consultant
www.accentgold.com
Tuned Listener

Thank you, Ben.  I will beat on the synch button again.  Two out of four remote boxes have been able to synch thus far.  One of your ACT! mates now said I had a network problem today.  I do not know how this could be since the box in question does handshake with my remote.  Strange.

This is what I see on my synch log on my master database when a remote user seems to be freezing:

Synchronization started
Server Object created
Checking if schema are available for synch
Server establishing synchronization with remote database
Server generated remote synch session identifier
Checking if data changes are available for synch
Server initialized database send session
Server initialized

AND then nada, five, six hours later.  I am letting a remote user's box run all night with the hope it will synch up sometime this evening in the wee hours.

Platinum Elite Contributor