Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Problems with ACT! Premium 2012

My Problems with ACT! Premium 2012

Many of the problems I had with ACT! 2011, that had been fixed through hot fixes, are back.

Such as:

1. When editing in list view, you can't check/uncheck a yes/no field. You'll get an "Object Reference Not Set to An Instance of an Object" error.
  2. Syncing remote databases takes at least 20 minutes to sync two record changes. This is across 16 remote databases. All synced one at a time.
  3. Syncing Fails two out of three time. Again across 16 remote databases. All synced one at a time.
  4. The Template renaming bug is back. I.E. Template named "LLD Test" will be renamed "LLD Test 2011-09-28 22-28-36" The numbers after the name are the time and date of the sync. This would be ok if you could simply change the name back to its original. However, These name changes are not always pushed to the remote databases. This brings up another problem, in that syncing begins to duplicate the files. So now I have 22 copies of "LLD Test xxxx-xx-xx xx-xx-xx", and thats after 24 hours.
  5. I can recreate all the remote databases but that only works for a day or so. I should also mention that the templates are only edited via the Main Database.
  6. I'm also starting to see this bug with Layouts as well.
  7. Finaly, There seems to be a Huge memory leak in ACT!. After a Sync, both the Server (With the Main DB) as well as the syncing client, Task manager reports that 95%-99% of the respective computers memory is being used. During this time the computer is unusable. However, there is no prosses is using that much memory. After, 5-10 minutes the memory usage drops to normal levels and the computer works fine. There is no reason that the server (Main DB Location) should use 12 gigs of memory (thats not a typo) When normal usage is 2-4 gigs, much less the client computers.

Any help, hot fix, or service pack. would be appreciated, 

Bronze Contributor

Re: My Problems with ACT! Premium 2012

Seth,

These are a fairly serious tones and it is like some of the issues from version 8 days. There are 2 suggestions that I have and happy to communicate offline if you wish

a) Have you tested a saveas copy of the database and then create a remote to see if the problem is database related rather than version?

b) What version did your database start in or was it new in 2012?

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

pbuchtmann wrote:

Seth,

These are a fairly serious tones and it is like some of the issues from version 8 days. There are 2 suggestions that I have and happy to communicate offline if you wish

a) Have you tested a saveas copy of the database and then create a remote to see if the problem is database related rather than version?

b) What version did your database start in or was it new in 2012?

I am setting up a saveas database now, I'll give that a try and let you know the results.

The original version of the database was ACT! 2010.

Also look for a PM containing my contact info

Bronze Contributor

Good to hear I am sure many others will want to know results

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

[ Edited ]

Ok, the results of the save as database.

When editing in list view, you can't check/unchecked a yes/no field. You'll get an "Object Reference Not Set to An Instance of an Object" error.

This issue appears resolved with a save as database.

Syncing remote databases takes at least 20 minutes to sync two record changes. This is across 16 remote databases. All synced one at a time.

This issue appears resolved with a save as database

Syncing Fails two out of three time. Again across 16 remote databases. All synced one at a time.

This issue appears resolved with a save as database

The Template renaming bug is back. I.E.. Template named "LLD Test" will be renamed "LLD Test 2011-09-28 22-28-36" The numbers after the name are the time and date of the sync. This would be OK if you could simply change the name back to its original. However, These name changes are not always pushed to the remote databases. This brings up another problem, in that syncing begins to duplicate the files. So now I have 22 copies of "LLD Test xxxx-xx-xx xx-xx-xx", and that's after 24 hours.
I can recreate all the remote databases but that only works for a day or so. I should also mention that the templates are only edited via the Main Database.
I'm also starting to see this bug with Layouts as well.

This issue is not resolved with a save as database

If anything its worse, I can delete a template off the main location, but it won't delete off a remote location.

Also, If you "Accidently" delete a template off on of your locations, Sync, realize what you've done and restore is (with ACT! Running) the other databases may not restore it. Then you have to manually restore it from your backups, and that causes duplicates, however some of the database locations may have deleted the template, so you restore from your backups again, causing more duplicates. I now have over 200 copy's of the same template on two remote databases, after restoring on the main database. The template will not stay on the Main database location, even after remaking the template.

I'm also getting some files reanmed with ACT!SYNCFILE as a prefix.

Finally, There seems to be a Huge memory leak in ACT!. After a Sync, both the Server (With the Main DB) as well as the syncing client, Task manager reports that 95%-99% of the respective computers memory is being used. During this time the computer is unusable. However, there is no process is using that much memory. After, 5-10 minutes the memory usage drops to normal levels and the computer works fine. There is no reason that the server (Main DB Location) should use 12 gigs of memory (that's not a typo) When normal usage is 2-4 gigs, much less the client computers.

This issue is not resolved with a save as database

Copper Contributor

I have also posted this syncing templates issue in another thread. We are getting multiple files piling up. I have tried a number of things but to be honest I believe this is a programming issue that needs to be addressed by ACT themselves.

Greg Hollister; where are you.... :-)

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am now getting ACT!SYNCFILE appended to the beginning of document template file names.

THIS IS CRAZY!

There are so many multiple files being created that I'm losing track of which one to keep and which ones to delete.

I tried cleaning up the template folder; then deleting the contents of each RDB template folder and replacing with the cleaned up templates. In other words, the publisher DB and all RDBs all have the exact same contents in the template folder - THEN I SYNC and all **bleep** breaks loose again. All it takes is one sync and multiple files are created with file names being appended with ACT!SYNCFILE and/or date/time.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

[Edit: Content removed. Expletive deleted]

After installing Sage ACT! 2012 Premium SP1 the Template renaming bug is back.

I.E. Template named "LLD Test" will be renamed "LLD Test 2011-09-28 22-28-36" The numbers after the name are the time and date of the sync. This would be ok if you could simply change the name back to its original. However, these name changes are not always pushed to the remote databases. This brings up another problem, in that when syncing multiple remote databases, the files begin to duplicate. For instance I have 22 copies of "LLD Test xxxx-xx-xx xx-xx-xx", and that’s after 24 hours, with two remote databases.

I have created a new Database, using "Save Copy As". While testing the template bug, I found a new one.

My database is far, far to customized to create a new database from scratch.

If you add a template to the publisher database, it does not sync to the remote database, at least not on the first sync after adding it.

That triggers the bug on the new file and here we go again.

I have also tried removing all the templates, and then re-adding them. This does not work either.

Step By Step

First: Created a "Save Copy As" Database. I left 4 templates that would need "changes".

Created a Remote Database, and synced No changes or edits have been made at this point.

Sync Results: Sync completed, no changes made

Conclusion: The databases are in sync.

Changed the name of two templates, one on the publisher database (File A), and one on the Remote database (File B). ACT! was open on both computers during the changes.

Sync Results: The changed template on the Master database didn't apply to the Remote database (File A). The changed template on the remote database did apply to the Master database (File B).

Conclusion: The databases are not in sync.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I made no changes, edits, or deletions - synced again.

Sync Results: The template that the remote database changed on the Master database (File B) synced back to the Remote database as a file+date template (File C).  The Master database template (File A) was deleted from the remote database, but still showed on the Master database.

Conclusion: The databases are not in sync

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Opened the Master database templates folder, moved all the templates to a new folder outside the ACT! hierarchy. I renamed them and made edits as needed. I left the templates folder empty, and synced.

Sync Results: The template folder on the Master database, stayed empty. The template folder on the Remote database emptied.

Conclusion: The databases are in sync

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Moved the templates back into the Master database, and synced

Sync Results: The templates from the Master database, synced to the Remote database. All the templates on the Master database were deleted.

Conclusion: The databases are not in sync. It seems like the master database synced its changes and then the Remote synced its changes. So the master databases templates were copied to the Remote database. Then the Remote databases deletions (from the previous sync) were transferred to the Master database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Moved the templates back into the Master database again, and synced

Sync Results: One template was deleted from the Remote database. No changes to the Master database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. Synced

Sync Results: No Change. The Remote database is still missing a template. No change to the Master database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I removed the Master template that was missing from the Remote, outside the Master databases hierarchy. Synced

Sync Results: No Change. File was manually removed before sync

Conclusion: The databases are in sync. Operator manually made the file sync.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I moved the Master template that was missing from the Remote database, back to the Master database's template folder. Synced

Sync Results: Missing file synced to the Remote database.

Restarted ACT! on both computers. I made a copy of one template on the Master database. Synced

Sync Results: Copied file synced to the Remote database.

Final Conclusion: The Databases stay in sync so long as the databases are open when changes are made.

So if one of my employees decides to change a name, without ACT! open, all the remote databases will start bugging out, again.

I now have 22 Remote databases (as opposed to the 2 I had in the original post) that sync at intervals of every 2 hours up to once every six months.

If I have to go through even half of these steps to get them to sync correctly, what’s the point of having the templates in ACT!.

It would be easier to set up a public folder in dropbox.

Any ideas? Planed fixes?