Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multiple Users of Single Database, Act! Premium ver 19

Multiple Users of Single Database, Act! Premium ver 19

We are new users to Act! Premium...I appreciate your responses!

We have 9 users (1 admin, 1 manager, 7 standard users).

All users' contact lists have been successfully imported from their Outlook and are marked as private (for now)

The manager would like to view and interact with the 7 users' contacts, however, the 7 users can not view the other users contacts.

What are the best practices:

-  to import and/or setup contacts using MS Outlook/Exchange?

-  to allow admin or manager access to view users' contacts and other information

-  to configure synchronization of users' MS Outlook and/or Exchange

Thanks for your replies!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Multiple Users of Single Database, Act! Premium ver 19

[ Edited ]

If you mark a contact Private only the Record Manager can view it.

You need to work out who needs to see which records and look at using the Team feature. This allows you to create a team of users who can see selected records and allocate those records to that team. Records can be allocated to more than 1 team.

Common setup is to create a managers team and allocate those who need to see all records in that team.

Now allocate all the records to that team.

Now only the Managers team can see those records plus, by default, the Record Manager of each record, simple yet effective.

These 2 articles and the links from it may explain more fully.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26892/~/what-are-users-and-teams-in-sage-act%21%3F

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15228/~/how-do-i-set-contact-access-controls-for-users-in-...

Thanks ch1p....I will review all those KB docs.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had not addressed your other questions regarding ACT and Outlook.

The biggest problem about importing Outlook into ACT from a number of different users is duplication. I find that often several people will have the same contacts but often with different details so John Smith, Bloggs and Co from 1 import is the same as John Smith, Bloggs Ltd in another but ACT will treat this as 2 different records as it will J Smith and John Smith etc.

Importing using just the email address as the de-duplicator with the merge option can help overcome this but I like to see all potential records for import in an Excel spreadsheet first and do the cleaning up in that before importing.

Syncing ACT and Outlook diaries is very effective but beware about contacts syncing for all the reasons I have outlined above,.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again ch1p....I appreciate the advice