Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multiple Database Syncing

Multiple Database Syncing

Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0

Shared Database

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard : Service Pack 1 (64 bit)

Q1 : Can you create two (or more) databases on the same server and have them sync with remote users in the background [ without having the users specific database open in act ] ?

Q2 : Can two databases on the same server background sync specific fields with one another ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

J

Copper Contributor

Re: Multiple Database Syncing

Q1a: You can have multiple databases on the same server.

Q1b. ACT won't sync in the background. I haven't seen an addon that would do this either.

Q2. This could be done with a thrid pary program.

Yout might want to look into one database with different user premissions.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Q1. Not with ACT! Pro but yes with ACT! Premium. You need to install the sync server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy. I have act premium w/the server installed. I will look into the server configs to see how to accomplish!
Nickel Contributor

It's the remote user database that initiates the synchronisation so as long as you have installed the network synchronisation application on the server, the remote users can synch any time they want.

Also the remote users can use the ACT! scheduler to set up a schedule to automatically synchronise the remote database.

Dang.. I have read the act sync document twice and nowhere does it describe how to set this up. I have the network sync setup, I have each database listening on a separate port - but it will only sync the database that is open!

Can you shed any thoughts (or links) on how to fix it????

If you're using the premium version, it sounds like you haven't either installed or possibly setup the sync server. Otherwise, or if you are using the pro version, only the open database can sync.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy - I'm running Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0 and have the two databases syncing with the server perfectly - IF the database is open on the server. Are you able to point me to a resource that will explain how to setup this sync process? I have the Act Sync Server setup paper, but as usual - it does not go into specifics (and I know it's just a check box I've missed)!

Thanks!

I suspect the sync server isn't installed. Go to start and type in ACT and see if an option for the ACT! sysc server comes up. If not you need to install the sync server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ahhh... It's Nubie-itis! I did as instructed above and the Act! Network Sync Service came up and it became apparent REAL fast that I had not added the second database to the list of monitored databases.

Fixed!

Thanks for sticking with me Roy!