Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multi-Select Option isn't pushing to remote databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Multi-Select Option isn't pushing to remote databases

We are running Act Premium v21.1 update 4.  I changed the Status field to allow "multi-select".  This has updated for everyone on the network, but will not appear for remote database users after syncing.  I've tried disabling the multi-select option and putting it back on, and then ran maintenance, but that did not help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amanda Hayden
‎02-16-2021 03:48 PM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Multi-Select Option isn't pushing to remote databases

[ Edited ]

This is a bug in the design, try this, it is a bit of a pain but much easier than creating lots of new remotes.

In the main database create a new field with multi select as you want and give a temp name.

In layout design add the new field somewhere just for now without altering existing fields.

Using Edit copy everything from the old field to the new one.

Check it has worked and then do a test sync on at least one remote to make sure this copies across.

Now on the master again delete the old field and rename the new one as the old one and move to where deleted field was in layout.

NB Just in case - Always make a backup before trying anything like this although it should all work without a problem.

Hi Amanda

To copy the data from the old field to the new you need to use the Edit option on the top left of the screen.

Under this are a number of option and copy field is one of the options.

Test by looking up a singe record with an entry and set up to copy from the old field to the new one.

If that works Ok you can do a lookup of the old field with the Contains Data option and the use Edit - Copy again and it should copy all the information from the old to the new field for all the selected records in the lookup.. 

Hope that helps.

ch1p's response was the solution BUT the users also needed to reboot their machines in order to see the updated field data and the multi-select options.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

That problem rings a bell... Im afraid you'll have to cut new Remotes.
Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

As Melville states this is a bug in the design, try this, it is a bit of a pain but much easier than creating lots of new remotes.

In the main database create a new field with multi select as you want and give a temp name.

In layout design add the new field somewhere just for now without altering existing fields. 

Check it has worked and then do a test sync on at least one remote to make sure this copies across.

Now on the master again delete the old field and rename the new one as the old one and move to where deleted field was in layout.

NB Just in case - Always make a backup before trying anything like this although it should all work without a problem.

Copper Contributor

I'm following what you're saying but getting hung up on using "Edit copy" everything from one field to the other.  Sorry if I'm thinking too hard, but I'm clicking on the "old" field, going to Edit, Copy and then pasting it in a blank spot but it's only copying the field and not the data as well.  I know I must be missing a step somewhere so any additional help would be appreciated!  I also tried putting the new field in the layout before trying the "edit/copy" function but getting the same result where I can't figure out how to copy the actual data to the new field.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Amanda Hayden
‎02-16-2021 03:48 PM
Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a bug in the design, try this, it is a bit of a pain but much easier than creating lots of new remotes.

Hi Amanda

To copy the data from the old field to the new you need to use the Edit option on the top left of the screen.

Under this are a number of option and copy field is one of the options.

Test by looking up a singe record with an entry and set up to copy from the old field to the new one.

If that works Ok you can do a lookup of the old field with the Contains Data option and the use Edit - Copy again and it should copy all the information from the old to the new field for all the selected records in the lookup.. 

Hope that helps.

ch1p's response was the solution BUT the users also needed to reboot their machines in order to see the updated field data and the multi-select options.  

Copper Contributor

This solved the issue of the remote databases not having the multi-select option, but now any data changes made to the field are not syncing to the remote databases.  Any ideas there?

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cut new remotes; the ONLY way I know to solve ALL the problems resulting from that old bug...

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Copper Contributor