Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multi Core Processors

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Multi Core Processors

Does Act 2008 support multi core processors?  I need to upgrade to a new Dell laptop...

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author carole23
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Multi Core Processors

[ Edited ]

Most users won't notice any difference between the 32- and 64-bit versions. The 64-bit versions can take advantage of all of the features that the newer 64-bit processors offer (such as supporting memory over 3 GB), but like I said, most will be hard-pressed to find any difference in normal usage. The most noticable difference between the two is compatibility/support: you'll have far fewer compatibility issues with 32-bit editions of Windows than with 64-bit/x64 editions. Sadly, x64 support for a decent number of applications and devices just isn't there yet (yes, I'm looking at you, Sage).

You should have a choice when you buy your new laptop. I believe that Dell, by default, supplies you with a 32-bit edition of Windows Vista. If you prefer XP, you can order your laptop with Vista Business and downgrade to XP Professional, as Vista Business comes with free downgrade rights to XP Professional:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferenc...

As long as you don't get a x64 edition of Windows Vista, you'll be fine running ACT!.

Message Edited by Conrad on 07-27-2008 08:47 PM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

ACT! will run just fine on a multi-core machine. I've installed ACT! on several multi-core machines. Just make sure you purchase your new laptop with a 32-bit version of Windows, not one that is 64-bit (or 'x64'). ACT! will not work on Windows x64 editions until Sage decides to catch up with the time.

-Conrad

Message Edited by Conrad on 07-27-2008 12:01 PM

Conrad, thanks for your response.  Another piece of info that I did not know.  What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows?  Do I have a choice when I buy the new laptop?  I know that XP is no longer available though I would prefer it.  All Dell laptops and Gateway's come now with Vista which I understand will not affect ACT!
Solution
Accepted by topic author carole23
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most users won't notice any difference between the 32- and 64-bit versions. The 64-bit versions can take advantage of all of the features that the newer 64-bit processors offer (such as supporting memory over 3 GB), but like I said, most will be hard-pressed to find any difference in normal usage. The most noticable difference between the two is compatibility/support: you'll have far fewer compatibility issues with 32-bit editions of Windows than with 64-bit/x64 editions. Sadly, x64 support for a decent number of applications and devices just isn't there yet (yes, I'm looking at you, Sage).

You should have a choice when you buy your new laptop. I believe that Dell, by default, supplies you with a 32-bit edition of Windows Vista. If you prefer XP, you can order your laptop with Vista Business and downgrade to XP Professional, as Vista Business comes with free downgrade rights to XP Professional:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferenc...

As long as you don't get a x64 edition of Windows Vista, you'll be fine running ACT!.

Message Edited by Conrad on 07-27-2008 08:47 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Make sure you get the fastest hard drive available, at least 7200 RPM. As a general rule ACT! performance is limited more by the hard drive speed rather than the processor speed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Great information! Keep it up!