Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving database to new machine as a sync publisher

Tuned Listener

Moving database to new machine as a sync publisher

I read the KB on this, and it says to use the move function. However, once you do that, the database on that machine is no longer useable.

My concern is that we have 5 people that use act on our main network, also it is important that they can get to it via act for web, and 2 remote users.

Getting this all to work wasn't that easy.

So moving to a new machine means that i need to get the database there, get 5 people attached to it, and get the ports on the router correct, iis correct, etc.

If any of that doesn't go smoothly, then the main server i moved from is useless and no one can use act, a disaster for us.

Can I just do a backup/restore on the old/new machine, then re create each remote users database once I do a restore on the new machine, send to them and have them sync again. I would tell them to sync on Fri night to the old machine, then do the backup on the old machine, move the file to the new machine, get apfw working over the weekend, and publish them a new database (different name of db) and send over the weekend. If it doesn't go well, at least the old machine and database is useable by our internal users, and the outside users can use their old remote databases.

If all goes well, then well, they are on their new databases.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Moving database to new machine as a sync publisher

I have never used the mentioned “move function”, but as you state, it renders the moved DB useless. Does it lose the status “Publisher” ( visible in ACTDiag) after the move?

What I know for sure is that creating & restoring a backup with “restore as” option (the only one you will have) will render the database useless, as the function removes the Publisher status during the process.

As a safety measure, ensure that all RDbs have synched successfully. Make sure the users don’t do anything until the Synch with the new server went ok.

The way to move a database and retaining its “Publisher” property is as follows:

Uncheck the “share database” option under Tools inside the ACT! application.

Detach the database with ACTDiag on the old server. Move the whole structure except the PAD file to the new server.

Attach the database either via ACTDiag or by opening the ADF file.

Check “Share database” option under Tools inside the ACT! application.

Now open all Remote DBs and change the Server name from old to new in the connection settings and the database location setting. Keep in mind that you might have to log on to the RDBs with an ACT Admin, otherwise you won’t be able to do the changes.

BEFORE you start the whole process, make sure, that you are able to log in to the RDBs with your ACT!-Admin.

Try to synch.

The procedure of recutting new RDBS remains as last resort.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

However, can I just do a backup then restore on the new machine, and then re create the rdbs with a new db name and send them , and now remote user uses newdb to start with? I want to add some new criteria to the sync anyway, which I think forces me to re create a db.

Nickel Super Contributor

If you wanna go that way, I would recommend to remove all synch stuff from the current database after having done final synchs.

Delete all remote databases from the list in the main database and switch OFF synch in the database. Run a complete database maintenance.

Then proceed with the backup and the transport/restore.

In the restored database: switch synch on again, go through your (still existing) synch sets, edit/amend them and cut new RDBs.

Don't forget to clear out all local RDBs on the remote computers.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de