Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving Published Database

Moving Published Database

I have Premium 2006 that has 4-5 remote users syncronizing.  If I move the published database to a new server, how do I redirect remote users to look for the new server.  Or do I need to create new remote databases?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving Published Database

To move the database, use this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5mmukx

Not sure if it fully applies for ACT! 2006, but this ACT! 2008/2009 doc for reconnecting sync after move should still work - http://tinyurl.com/5hpkjd

Make sure all the users sync first... then, if there's a problem, you can re-cut new RDBs for them

Excellent but how do I specify the new server in the remote database?  ...or am I just being stupid?

Have a look at the section at the bottom:

Publisher Database:
You have moved your Publisher database to a different computer:

Where is says "Subscriber", it means the remote

Was looking so good...

I followed the instructions and went well until I tried to sync from the remote DB to the main DB.  I get a message saying it could not establish the sync with the 'original' server, not the one I moved the database to.  Strange because the software let me specify the now machine name.

Thoughts?

Did you save the Publisher database to the new machine with the same name? You can't change the name of the database

database name is the same.  Detach / move / open does not change the name.  It is odd, on the remote DB there is an option to change the connection information for the sync server but when I try to sync, the error message says that it could not connect to the original server.

When you moved, did you delete the PAD file and open the ADF? You need to.

Maybe try the IP for the server name in the Subscriber?

I deleted the PAD file as the instructions said a new one would be created.  Tried IP as well...

Update....  I did skip a step but this is because the option was not there (see below):

There is no option to change the database location.

Publisher Database:
You have moved your Publisher database to a different computer:

Important Note for Sync Users: If you are moving a Publisher database you will be required to enable synchronization.

At the Subscriber database:

1. Launch ACT!, and then open the Subscriber database.
  2. Click the Tools menu, and then click the Synchronization Panel option. The Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box appears.
  3. Click Manage Main Database Location from the Admin Tasks section. The Synchronization - Manage Main Database Location dialog box appears.

4. Type the new computer name in the Enter the Machine Name of the computer hosting the Main database field, and then click Finish. The following ACT! warning message box appears.

5. Click Yes. The Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box reappears.
  6. Click Close to return to ACT!.