Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT! to another Windows server

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Moving ACT! to another Windows server

Hello,

First time poster here. I've been browsing forums and KB for a while now, but can't find the exact procedure documented anywhere.

Perhaps I'm wrong and it exists, in which case I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Here's the brief exaplanation:

- Version of Sage: Sage ACT! Premium 2012 14.1.108.0

- Database is on the Windows Server 2008, in a shared folder.

I'm about to decomission this server, and need to get Act! up and running on a new Windows Server 2012. Trouble is, I know next to nothing about Act!

I found several folders full of data, but when opening Sage Act! Premium 2012 I can see the database on a subfolder of a D: drive. It contains .ADF, .ALF and .PAD files. I know these are DB, logs and identifier files. There is also a subfolder database-files which I have no idea what it is.

I checked all the other components of the installation - Sage Secure Gateway Client, Sage 50 Report Designer. Sage ACT! Integration, Sage ACT! Scheduler and so on. All seem to be either blank or installed with default options.

So I guess I have two questions:

What other information do I need to gather in order to safely migrate the application?

What is the exact procedure to carry this out (is it documented already somewhere?)

Thanks for reading and, I hope, helping!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author 404
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Moving ACT! to another Windows server

To move Act! to another server, the most convenient way is: (from within Act!): Choose <File><Backup Database>.

On the new server restore from within Act! (use the same version/update/hotfix build visible from <Help><About>) (otherwise your workstations or your server might have problems) the backup file, that contains all of the attachments.

Choose <File><Restore><Database> and choose "Restore as". That should do the job.

Hein Campmans
http://connect2act.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author 404
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

To move Act! to another server, the most convenient way is: (from within Act!): Choose <File><Backup Database>.

On the new server restore from within Act! (use the same version/update/hotfix build visible from <Help><About>) (otherwise your workstations or your server might have problems) the backup file, that contains all of the attachments.

Choose <File><Restore><Database> and choose "Restore as". That should do the job.

Hein Campmans
http://connect2act.com

Thanks for the quick reply heincampmans. Much appreciated!

If anyone stumbles upon this question later, here's an additional update - Act! 2012 isn't supported on Windows Server 2012.
To migrate to this OS, you'll need Act! 2014 (v16).