Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT! to a server with MIP - is this a good idea?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Moving ACT! to a server with MIP - is this a good idea?

Now that I know the requirements to running ACT! (Thanks GL!)

What I need to know now is what would be the best solution for moving an ACT! database to a server that has MIP software and database and is using SQL Desktop Engine. Both are SAGE software so I am going to assume that they will not have any problems sharing a server.

Here are my specifics:

• ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2006 with 11 users accessing up to 4 seperate databases - currently using SQL 2000 Express(?)
  • MIP v10 with 6 users accessing 1 database - currently using SQL Desktop Engine
  • Network environment using Active Directory
  • Server is running Windows 2003 with a 3.2GHz CPU and 2Gigs of RAM and plenty of HDD space.

I would like to stick with SQL Express since it comes with ACT and is free and I cant afford SQL Server 2005 due to budget. But can SQL Express handle running both ACT! and MIP on the same server? Or do I need to search the couch for enough change to purchase SQL Server 2005?

And what is the best approach for getting this done?  

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated! And if this is something that I should really call tech support and ask for assistance, let me know and I'll start standing on the corner asking for handouts to purchase tech support! Smiley Wink

Thanks again!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author joni
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Moving ACT! to a server with MIP - is this a good idea?

Roy caught me on the loose naming of SQL Express and MSDE, but your SQL user and hardware throttling issue exists neverhless.

While I know little of MIP, I wanted to point out what seemed to two possibly limiting issues with your setup.

ACT is a fine choice, but MSDE will not fully utilize your hardware, and will be limiting on your user total (perhaps with MIP, as well).

Hopefully your budget will provide for ACT 2008 Premium ST Edition, which comes with SQL Standard Server, because this will adequately address a lot of these issues.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

View solution in original post

All Replies

Anyone have any feedback on this?

Thanks!

Nickel Contributor

ACT! 2005/2006 using SQL Express 2000 throttles the number of simulatneous users at 7.

You indicate that you intend to have 11 users, so this may be problematic.

The other thing is SQL Express will utilize only one CPU and the first 1GB of RAM. The fact that SQL Express limits database size to 4GB is not overly limiting for most.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

kquigley wrote:

ACT! 2005/2006 using SQL Express 2000 throttles the number of simulatneous users at 7.

You indicate that you intend to have 11 users, so this may be problematic.

Is this a limitation strictly with ACT! and SQL Express?

Or is it a limitation with SQL Express in general?

Any way around this limitation?

Don't forget I also have five MIP users that I want to add to the server and MIP requires SQL as well.

Thanks for the input!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually it was called MSDE with MSSQL 2000, Sequel Express is the later, more capable version. The throttling is built into MSDE by Microsoft. The standard version of ACT! has a built in limit of 10 users.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author joni
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Roy caught me on the loose naming of SQL Express and MSDE, but your SQL user and hardware throttling issue exists neverhless.

While I know little of MIP, I wanted to point out what seemed to two possibly limiting issues with your setup.

ACT is a fine choice, but MSDE will not fully utilize your hardware, and will be limiting on your user total (perhaps with MIP, as well).

Hopefully your budget will provide for ACT 2008 Premium ST Edition, which comes with SQL Standard Server, because this will adequately address a lot of these issues.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

OK. I think I know the answer now.

Sounds like it would be best if I move up to SQL Server, of which I do not have the budget for! Ugh!

Good thing I have a tatered pair of jeans I can put on while sitting on the corner! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for your help guys. This helped clear things up!

Platinum Elite Contributor

You said you have the Premium version of ACT! 2006. This uses SQL 2000 Standard (it will install its own instance so you don't have to buy anything) and doesn't have the limits of 9 users in ACT! standard. When install ACT! Premium 2006 on a server operating system, it will get you to install disk 2, which is the standard SQL 2000 instead of SQL MSDE

ACT! 9/10 would use SQL 2005, but again they include it so you don't have to purchase anything.

You just need to remember that for 10+ users, you need the Premium versions of ACT! and a Windows server os (2003)