Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT from one business to another

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Moving ACT from one business to another

My company recently bought a smaller company that uses ACT Premium 10.03.  They had the ACT software installed on a SBS2003 server and also on three PC's.  I talked to the sales person that they got the software through and he said I HAVE to install ACT Premium on my server to get it to work.  Problem is my server is Server 2003 64 bit and the software won't run.  I have SQL 2005 but he told me I couldn't move the database to it as it has to have the ACT software running on it which isn't possible.

There will only be two people using this software so I attempted to get it working today.  I got a copy of thier database from thier server by shutting down the SQL instance, copying the ACT8.ADF and Act8.ALF files to a external drive, and then copying those files to my server.  I installed the software on the two new machines and copied the database files to each under My Docs\Act for Windows\Databases.  I started each copy, did a Open Database, logged in.  The software said it had to convert the databases and did so successfully.  Both came up with the 4317 contacts they were supposed to have and I got reminders for each of the users accounts.

So my question is can I use these database files with a stand alone SQL server 2005 install?  I attempted to install the Network Sync program and go through the links in the FAQ but I couldn't figure out anything.  I'd be ok with the computers jsut syncing off each other but as I attempted to do this (I spent 3 - 4 hours on it) I could not get any type of syncing happening.  I messed with Sync sets and remote database files and I'm still where I started.  Is there a easy way to jsut sync these two machines without running ACT on a seperate stand alone computer?

-Allan 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author adynes
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving ACT from one business to another

I'm glad to hear that you are able to sucessfully sync. However, you do not need to install the Network Sync service on any other machines but the one hosting the main database, so I would uninstall the service from the remote machines. The syncs are always initiated from the remote databases, not the main. You will not see a sync progress on the main database, only on the remotes while they sync. To see the changes on both sides, go to View/Refresh or press Ctrl+F5 on your keyboard to refresh the database.

There is a report called the Sync Preview Report you can view before or after syncing that will give you the sync status of the database. This report is updated after each sync. If you run it from the main machine, it will give you information on the main and all remotes. If ran from the remote machine, it will give you information on the remote database only. It essentially gives you the status of the last sync and what data is queued to be sent on the next sync. To run the report:

- From your Windows Start menu, choose Run, and type actdiag

- When ACT! Diagnostics comes up, click Databases, then Database List

- Locate the main or remote database (depending on which machine you are on) and highlight

- Righ-click on the database, select Database Reports/Sync Reports/Sync Preview Report

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

When using a shared database, the machine hosting the database has to have both ACT! and SQl installed. In order to sync, it must also have a sync service installed (either the default application sync that gets installed with ACT! or one of the Premium sync services, like Network Sync). If you only have a couple of machines that are accessing the database, then maybe the best bet is to have one of the machines host the database and the other(s) access it from that machine. An XP machine can host up to 10 clients. If at some some point you decide to upgrade ACT! to 2009 or 2010 (when released), then those versions are supported on 64-bit operating systems.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Is there a instruction sheet or guide on doing this?  I attempted to do what you described, sync the one computer to the other but after hours of fooling with the Sync Panel and Network Sync software I couldn't get it to do anything.  There arn't a lot of changes made daily and both users will be on the same network so syncing between them should be pretty quick.  I also looked into the "remote database" feature thinking I could sync out to a network share but again couldn't get that working.

-Allan

You will first need to decide how you want your database setup.

- Do you want to have one shared database that is accessed live by all users and hosted on one of their machines?

- Or do you want to setup remote synchronization, where you have one main database and then one or more separate remote databases synchronizing with that database?

The shared database option will update real-time, whereas the remote database option will only update when the remote user(s) perform a synchronization. If your users are all connected to the network, then the shared database option would be ideal. If you have users that are off site or that need to work in the database while not connected to the network, then the remote database option would be best.

Greig Hollister

The remote sync option as both users have laptops and will more then likely need to use ACT when they are at home.  Having the absolute newest data isn't as important.  I tried the remote database thing to a network share but could not get it to work....I'm sure I'm missing a step.

Please see the following Knowledgebase articles:

To setup Network sync: 21416, 19374

Create remote databases: 14116

If remote users not connected to network: 17536, 21417, 23333

Greig Hollister

Thanks for your help Greig.  I did everything in there but missed the "Restore" option.  So on the "Master" (really the heaviest user) I did the remote database to our network share then on the secondary user (and on any other users if we have more) I did the restore.  I then went into the secondary users Network Sync and added the new .pad file and did a Tools -> Syncronize -> Sync Now and it was succesful.

So the secondary user is syncing to the remote database.....how do I verify the master is syncing to the remote because as it sits I don't see how that part is doing it.  Should I restore the remote database on the master machine too so they both are using the remote?

Solution
Accepted by topic author adynes
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I'm glad to hear that you are able to sucessfully sync. However, you do not need to install the Network Sync service on any other machines but the one hosting the main database, so I would uninstall the service from the remote machines. The syncs are always initiated from the remote databases, not the main. You will not see a sync progress on the main database, only on the remotes while they sync. To see the changes on both sides, go to View/Refresh or press Ctrl+F5 on your keyboard to refresh the database.

There is a report called the Sync Preview Report you can view before or after syncing that will give you the sync status of the database. This report is updated after each sync. If you run it from the main machine, it will give you information on the main and all remotes. If ran from the remote machine, it will give you information on the remote database only. It essentially gives you the status of the last sync and what data is queued to be sent on the next sync. To run the report:

- From your Windows Start menu, choose Run, and type actdiag

- When ACT! Diagnostics comes up, click Databases, then Database List

- Locate the main or remote database (depending on which machine you are on) and highlight

- Righ-click on the database, select Database Reports/Sync Reports/Sync Preview Report

Greig Hollister