Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT 17 for Web to a different server

Moving ACT 17 for Web to a different server

I have an ACT 17 Premium  for Web database in production use and I need to move it to a different server. Both servers are very similar in platforms (Windows server 2012 and SQL 2012 SP3 Standard edition). I can see in the old server's ACT,  there is option "Prepare a move to another computer" and on the new server there is option "Complete a move from another computer". The question is that if I do "Prepare a move to another computer" (this will generate the actmov file I believe), what will be the status of the production server? Is it going to be destroyed or still in working status? Or anything I need to do to bring it back to working status?

The ACT suppport kb's are clear on how to move but I did not find the information on the old server's status after the moving. I am testing/rehearsing the move so I need to make sure the old server still works after the testing - until I do the final/formal moving.

For that matters, the database is not shared there is no publishing/subscribing setup.

Thanks

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Moving ACT 17 for Web to a different server

If you want,  you can do the following...  ( First  backup the database in a folder created for this task )

1. (Old Server) Stop the SQL Server service (ACT 7) and the SQL Server Browser service

1.png

2. (Old Server) Copy the two files (ADF and ALF) and  folder files in a memory  or external disk...  (You do not need to copy the PAD file)

2.png

3. Copy these files and folder on the other server (New Server)

3.png

Open Act! on the other server (Run as Administrator)  (New Server)

4.png

Review the following steps, but ...    You can also double-click on the ADF file.......................

5.png

6.png

In this way you will create a new PAD file...............

On the OLD server - Restart the services that you stopped in the first step    ( The old server is back in service )

The new PAD file for the new server can serve as a shortcut to the local computer-users.

If you have remote databases, the new server should be available to receive synchronizations - you just have to make a change in the remote databases to look up the name of the new server - and must make a change in your router so that the synchronization path go to the internal IP address of the new server.

Good luck

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

Re: Moving ACT 17 for Web to a different server

Thanks Juan for the tips on detaching/attaching approach.

First I would answer my own question: by experimenting on the target server, I found preparing moving database to another computer did not destroy the source database. After doing it, the database is in "Locked" status. Just unlock it. It will be in normal status available to users.

For detaching/attaching by using SQL server itself (either by stopping SQL service or doing it by SSMS detaching function) worked somehow. But steps in addition to your process are needed. Specifically after detaching/attaching it to a different SQL server, these few ACT?????? users at database are orphaned (not linked to server level logins) because the SIDs are different although the names are the same.

So it necessary to run those on the target server after attaching:

Capture.PNG

And after this, it is necessary to run Web Site Admin within ACT to add the new database to the virtual directory. After all this was done, the site is up with the attached database.

I found actdiag has detach/attach functions built into it. I imagine if I use actdiag to do it, it will take care of everything above. But actdiag is not working on my installation because I went some devious route to get my sa account back - the person keeps changing my sa password. I know if I run C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web>securitycmdlnapp.exe actdiag will work but the exe will change my sa password.

Spent a lot of time wrangling with it. ACT is extremely DBA unfriendly, to say the least.