Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move database to a network drive

Move database to a network drive

I created a database on my local drive and now I need to move it to a network drive so everyone has access to it.  I've searched for how to do in the forum, but it doesn't work for me.  I go to File --> Restore --> Database... --> Restore As.  From there I fill in all the necessary information, click OK and I get a message that reads "You are attempting to restore to a non-local drive: Z:\.  Restoring to a non-local drive is not supported.  Please specify a drive local to your machine."

The previous database was on the Z:\ drive.  Unfortunately, the person who put it there is long gone and I have no idea how it got there to begin with.

I have also tried unsuccessfully to move the database by going to Tools --> Synchronization Panel...  The problem there is that Manage Main Database Location is greyed out.

So what can I do to move the database over?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Move database to a network drive

You have to restore it on the actual server. You can't restore it from a workstation to the server.
Nickel Contributor

Mike is right, and during the process of restoring it on the server you'll also have the opportunity to enable sharing on the database.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

I'm not all that familiar with ACT! and it was previously installing on all computers, so I don't really know how you do that.  IT has no idea either since it's not installed on the server and they don't know who got it there or how.  Any suggestions?

Install ACT! on the server

Backup the database from the Workstation.

Copy the ZIP to the server, and in ACT! - File | Restore - select Restore As

To make it available to the other users, follow this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4vujom

Hi

I'm having the same problem. My server has a C drive and a NAS drive mapped as an L drive which has shared data. Act is installed on the C drive of the server. If I try to create a new database on the L drive it will not create it. 

Also, I have tried to restore and create a new copy to L (2nd option on the restore) it will not allow it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

No, you can't use a NAS drive. The database must be local to the application

If I install ACT onto the NAS on the server, will it work?

Ye it is. Windows 2008 64 bit.