Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move database file from Network to computer

Move database file from Network to computer

I have Act 2008 10.0.3 and the Act Database files are located on a server.  I'd like to move the database files to my computer harddrive and work locally instead of on network. When I try to move the DB.adf files it says I don't have permisssion or it is in use, although the program isn't running. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Move database file from Network to computer

Hello,
The best way to get a copy of the database from one machine to another is to make a backup on the server, copy the backup (.zip) file to your machine, then go to File > Restore > Database and choose the Restore As option. The reason you can't copy the database directly is because it is attached to the SQL Server. As long as it attached or SQL is running, then the database cannot be moved or copied.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Contributor

It's a good question, we list some of hte steps with screenshots if that's easier here.

http://blog.acttrainer.com/moving-an-act-database-to-another-machine-when-there-is-no-backup/

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

They installed a new server and moved the ACT database files to a new server. I followed your instructions to delete the .pad file, and try to open the .adf instead. Now I get an error "the sql database instance is unavailable".

[ Edited ]

Has SQL been installed on that machine? Check the services list and see if the service "SQL Server (ACT7)" is installed and running.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I moved database from server to local hard drive... still not working. Same error "The sql database instance is unavailable", click OK then "object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Did you check the services list to verify that the "SQL Server (ACT7) service is present and started?

Greig Hollister

I cannot open the Act demo database off local hard drive now either. I get error “The database Act10demo could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server”

My computer was also updated by IT dept over the weekend. They must have modified something and updated  firewall systems. I turned the firewall off and still get the error. How can check if SQL server is on?

[ Edited ]

- Click your Windows Start button

- In the Search box on the Start menu, type in services.msc

- When the service window opens, look for SQL Server (ACT7)

- If the Status of this service is not "Started", then right-click on it and select Start

If this service is not in your list, then you will need to install it per the instructions in KB Article 19386.

Greig Hollister

In services I have:

SQL Server active directory helper

SQL server browser

SQL server vss writer

I do NOT have SQL Server (ACT7)

I am using Act  2008 (10.0) but only have the cd for 2006 version 8, should I try to install off the cd or will the old version of SQL be bad.