Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move database file from Network to computer

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Move database file from Network to computer

ACT! 2006 uses the wrong version of SQL for ACT! 2008. I have sent you a Private Message with a download link for ACT! 2008, which includes the needed SQL installation files. After you download and unzip the files to your hard drive, then follow the steps in the KB article I mentioned earlier.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I got through the 18 pages of instructions from your knowledgebase... still having troubles. I am running out of patience,,,,,

What issues/error messages did you encounter during or after you followed the steps in the KB article?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I followed all your instructions. When I started the process, on #25 the SQL Server Browser was not enabled or running. I corrected this and thought that was the problem and it would work. went through all the other steps, restarted tied to open the demo database. Received the error:

“The database ACT10Demo could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server”.

This is the same error I received with when I began this process.

OK, so you can confirm that SQL Server (ACT7) is running? That's good.

- Go to your Start button and type "actdiag" in the Search box to bring up the ACT! Diagnostics utility.

- Then go to Databases > Database List. See if ACT10Demo is in the list. If so, then highlight it and right-click on it and select Detach.

- Close ACT! Diagnostics.

- Then browse to the location of ACT10Demo and delete the .PAD file for the database.

- Open ACT!, go to File > Open Database, change the File Type to .ADF, browse to the .ADF file for ACT10Demo (by default C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases) and open that.

- See if this opens that database.

Also, can you confirm what operating system your machine is running? I missed that information in your previous posts.

Greig Hollister

Could not connect to the SQL server instance. Click yes to continue anyway, No to restart ActDiag, Cancel to close.

computer is Windows XP.

any ideas?

Highlighted

Based on the information provided, it looks like you have a bad install of SQL, with leftover files and registry keys corrupting your current install. In the past, this has been resolved with a manual removal of SQL, then a standard uninstall of ACT!:

- Go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and unistall the following (if present): ACT!, MSXML 6.0 Parser, all apps starting with "Microsoft SQL Server"

- Browse to the C:\Program Files directory and delete the Microsoft SQL Server program folder

- Go to your Start button, then Run, type in regedit to open your registry editor. Browse to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft key and under that key delete any subkeys that start with Microsoft SQL, SQL, or MSSQL

- Go to KB Article 21959, go to Step 9, and delete all the SQL keys listed there (if present).

- Reboot your machine

- When the machine has restarted, reopen the registry editor and browse to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

- Right-click on this key, select New > Key, and create a new subkey named Domain

- Close the registry editor

- Download the two files attached to this post

- After you dowload, rename the flles to change the file extension from ".txt " to .reg

- Double-click to run them, starting with Client_tree.reg, then Tcp.reg.

- Follow the steps in KB Article 19386 to manually install SQL. Remember to jot down the SQL password you create during this process.

- Do a standard install of ACT!

If this process does not work, then we have often found this to be an issue with your operating system, since the product that will not install is a Microsoft product (SQL). At that point, we advise you to contact Microsoft support.

Greig Hollister