Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

More woes with Protexis Windows Security Patches maybe?

More woes with Protexis Windows Security Patches maybe?

[ Edited ]

Today, since this morning and as of now (06/23/2017 @12:10PM), every user that's tried to launch Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0 on a Windows 7 Enterprise PC is experiencing "your trial license has expired" woes. I've had to restart the Protexis service on 2 of them, 2 others just kept retrying over and over (while they were waiting for me) and eventually it went away on its own. I "Chatted" with support, they advised there were no known issues with the licensing servers today. I checked the Windows update log and discovered there were 3 security patches applied today to our PCs. KB4022719, KB4022722 and KB4021558. I don't know if these updates are the cause or not, I just want to get this out there in case someone else is having the same problem, and had any or all of these security patches installed. If they are, the developers will need to create a patch to fix whatever the updates broke.

Administrator

Re: More woes with Protexis Windows Security Patches maybe?

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reporting this. I'll keep an eye out for any other reports of this, and update the team.

Our Customer just had the same issue and of the three KB updates listed in OP comments, we have KB4022719.  We tried uninstalling and reinstalling Protexis as per http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23027/kw/protexis to no affect.

We need a resolution to this issue.

Administrator

Hi phether,

Has this just started occurring, or is this affecting a new installation?
How many PCs are affected?
What version of Act! is installed?

The version is Act! 2013 Pro.  It is currently affecting one computer.  The software was working fine on this machine for months and was registered.  Issue appeared morning after Microsoft's Automated updates for the following KBs.

KB4022719

KB3203461

KB3191908

KB2203467

KB3191844

KB3118389

KB3203464

KB3203460

The one I suspect and is also included in original post is KB4022719 as it is a Cumulative Security Updated for Windows 7.  The rest are updated for Microsoft Office Products.

Administrator

Have any other machines running Act! also had this update applied?
It would be interesting to know if rolling back KB4022719 causes the issue to go away.

Sorry for the delay.

I rolled back KB4022719 , and rebooted computer.  Still no change.

I completely uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled and same results.  Will not connect to network.  If I try to do "by Phone" it does not create a install code.

Administrator

Hi phether,

The fact that no install code is being generated hints that there is still some issues with Protexis. Please could you try following the steps in the following Knowledgebase article, starting from the top: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13727

I have followed each step of this document already, but just to be sure, I have run them all again to no avail.  The only thing not checked was checking to see if serial number had been used to many times on your side.  

The error stating unable to connect to licensing server would seem to leave that out unless your error messages don't actually coincide with the actual issue.

I am at a stand still.

Administrator

Do you have any antivirus or firewall software running that could be interfering with the licensing service?

We have a knowledgebase article listing exceptions that you can add to prevent this: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125